Received a Takata recall letter today.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
thatsthevibe

Received a Takata recall letter today.

Post by thatsthevibe »

I found a recall notice for my vibe today, it says that this car already had a recall repair and it needs another one, the first time caused a small crack on my gauge cluster by the trip reset button so I'm unsure about doing this again. This is apparently only for the passenger bag (afaik both were replaced) which has me slightly worried because if one is bad then why is the other one not? Dealer said they would have to wait for parts so I'll wait until I get the next rotation and service done for the repair. Also It looks like I got this letter later than everyone else :lol: .
2006 Pontiac Vibe - Sun & Sound (4/28/06)
2007 Chevy Silverado 6.0 - LTZ & Z71 (6/12/07)
2017 Chevy Equinox AWD 3.6 - LTZ
vibrologist

Re: Received a Takata recall letter today.

Post by vibrologist »

I got my letter 10 days ago.

Driver and passenger air bags are different. The inflators of the passenger bags have/had an unstable explosive in it. Over time it attracted moisture and could explode with too much force. That could launch some metal pieces like shrapnel and kill somebody. In the initial round of recalls they replaced the inflators with new original ones in order to buy time. This round will replace them with inflators that are produced by a company other than Takata. This should be the final fix of this issue.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
GORGO

Post by GORGO »

I decided not to get it done,dont want some yanger removing my dash.I rarely carry a passenger.
Previously known as,TONY-TAT2 /GODZILLA
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.
g0ldrush1958

Post by g0ldrush1958 »

Same here, It was already replaced 1 year ago with another tataka and received another letter 2 months ago for replacement with part:19355534 recall was done this morning took 45 minutes at GM dealer. Don't mess with this recall....
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

yep. and it'll continue to be recalled. fix it...or don't. you can't sit in the passenger seat if you're driving! :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
g0ldrush1958

Post by g0ldrush1958 »

Good one Dude! my passenger seat is occupied 80% of the time :geek:
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

g0ldrush1958 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 am Don't mess with this recall....
Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBjxprHh3QI

The above looks like the style of inflator fitted into our passenger air bag assemblies.

That's great that you were able to get yours replaced. I still haven't received a call back for parts availability. It was early January when I had the dealer set up the order. Last i heard GM still hasn't done anything with the order, I'll check with the dealer again. :(
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

The dealer doesnt have parts, I know they will tear my dash up again. I'm hesitant to get it done but I do have passengers somewhat often, I should be able to disable it if I shouldn't have a passenger.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

thatsthevibe wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 am The dealer doesnt have parts, I know they will tear my dash up again. I'm hesitant to get it done but I do have passengers somewhat often, I should be able to disable it if I shouldn't have a passenger.
Take lots of before and after photos, in case they do mess the dash up.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Got my letter last week too -- I actually don't remember getting it replaced the first time LOL

I'll find some time and go to the Toyota dealership one of these days. :lol:
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

I got the repair done friday after the parts finally arrived, luckily I dont have any new dash cracks although, I can tell that the new bag is larger as its making an indentation on the air bag cover. I was told I was one of the very last people to get it done :lol: