Hello fellow vibe enthusiasts!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
thatsthevibe

Hello fellow vibe enthusiasts!

Post by thatsthevibe »

Hello from Wisconsin, I have a 06 vibe that is currently at 150,000mi, it hit 150k yesterday. My mother bought it new back in the summer of 2006 and I inherited it as my first car.
I plan on keeping it even after I buy a new car because I have so many memories growing up in this car.

https://i.imgur.com/FJWKmIA_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/3e3Olqg_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

It’s been perfect as far as reliability so far, but today I just had the drivers door freeze and I had to force it open from inside and the weather seal around the door is now loose, I think I can fix it, I just don’t know how.
2006 Pontiac Vibe - Sun & Sound (4/28/06)
2007 Chevy Silverado 6.0 - LTZ & Z71 (6/12/07)
2017 Chevy Equinox AWD 3.6 - LTZ
vibrologist

Re: Hello fellow vibe enthusiasts!

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the forum, thatsthevibe!

I looked at your pictures and want to tell you that it is much easier to get around corners if you load that tree lengthwise! :lol:

Maybe this thread helps with your window surround issue:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45951

There are lots of helpful links in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

vibrologist wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 am Welcome to the forum, thatsthevibe!

I looked at your pictures and want to tell you that it is much easier to get around corners if you load that tree lengthwise! :lol:
but, then you can't close the rear glass - and you have issues with the passengers.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D What part of Wisconsin? (update profile for us) I get up to Madison a couple times a year. Beautiful up there. Visit us often here and take care of that Vibe!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

Thanks for the replies, I live in Janesville, it’s 30 minutes down I-90 from Madison. It’s been getting buried in snow quite a bit lately although I can’t complain about being able to hit some handbrake turns and donuts. It had a very brutal cold start at -20 but it still started on the first try!

The window seal is fine but the seal around the edge of the door, at the top of the door is loose and it’s starting to drive me crazy a little bit, my rear hatch and one rear door are still frozen shut haha I’ll just wait for a thaw instead of possibly messing up another seal. When I look my problem up all I get is videos of people replacing the seal around the window.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Not sure if its the seal that is on the door or the door frame, but they're both about the same. As long as it's not torn, you should be able to just stuff the rubber back into the channel. There's no adhesive on mine, I can pull it off, push it back in
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:24 pm Not sure if its the seal that is on the door or the door frame, but they're both about the same. As long as it's not torn, you should be able to just stuff the rubber back into the channel. There's no adhesive on mine, I can pull it off, push it back in
yep, i stuff mine back in every few days. if the door is even slightly froze shut, my seals come off. the rear doors seals as it goes down the door are held in by little body pin things. I'm sure the fronts are too.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

If the doors are frozen shut by ice, take the car to a manual car wash and pressure spray around all the doors. Bring along a spray can of silicone spray and a clean rag to the car wash. At the car wash, put the spray wand up to the body seams around the doors and spray in on the door seals. The water flowing into the body seams will melt the ice and free the door from being frozen shut. Once you have the door open, take a spray can of silicone and spray a clean rag with silicone. Wipe the silicone on the rubber door weather striping. The silicone will repel the water from the rubber and also lubricate the rubber against the body. This will help prevent the weather stripping from being frozen to the body. Do the silicone wipe before you leave the car wash or your doors will freeze shut again. I wipe my moldings down every fall before winter sets in. I have never had a door freeze shut on me since I started to wipe silicone on the weather stripping moldings. If you try to force the door open when it is frozen, you will probably damage the rubber weather moldings and have leaks afterwards. You will then need to replace the seals.
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

I was able to just stuff it back in on the drivers door, which I had to really force open from inside. I dont think I have a seal damaged, although I haven't gone highway speeds for quite a while to see if there is a problem. We got more ice coming this way so I might get to see how well the silicone method works.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage