2003 Vibe GT heater knob in wrong position

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VibeGT2003jgh

2003 Vibe GT heater knob in wrong position

Post by VibeGT2003jgh »

My question to the GenVibe community is, has your heater knob suddenly changed to an incorrect position?
I hope these pictures appear; I followed the instructions to place them on a website and copy the links between the two icons.

The first picture shows the heater knob turned as far clockwise as it goes, not quite all the way to the right dot. This is full heat position.

The second picture shows the knob turned as far counter-clockwise as it goes, past the blue dot to the red dot. This is full cold position.

The knob was in the proper position before I took my Vibe in for an airbag recall. This week I was back at the GMC service department for a second airbag recall. I mentioned the knob issue to the service manager and he said that sometimes the cables get worn. I pointed out that the cables must have become worn overnight at the dealership.

It took me a few days to notice the incorrect knob position as the weather was pleasant.
joatmon

Re: 2003 Vibe GT heater knob in wrong position

Post by joatmon »

VibeGT2003jgh wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm My question to the GenVibe community is, has your heater knob suddenly changed to an incorrect position?
I hope these pictures appear; I followed the instructions to place them on a website and copy the links between the two icons.

The first picture shows the heater knob turned as far clockwise as it goes, not quite all the way to the right dot. This is full heat position.

The second picture shows the knob turned as far counter-clockwise as it goes, past the blue dot to the red dot. This is full cold position.

The knob was in the proper position before I took my Vibe in for an airbag recall. This week I was back at the GMC service department for a second airbag recall. I mentioned the knob issue to the service manager and he said that sometimes the cables get worn. I pointed out that the cables must have become worn overnight at the dealership.

It took me a few days to notice the incorrect knob position as the weather was pleasant.
I know the temperature control knob drives a cable that controls a door that controls the hot and cold air mix. There was a problem in the early 03's where it wasn't adjusted properly, and still allowed some heated air in when turned to full cold. I can't be sure, but I think the stops at full cold and full hot are part of the where the knob is mounted, and not the cable or the door. The thread for that issue is viewtopic.php?t=1004.

There was a forum software upgrade at some point and some uplaoded files got relocated. An image from that thread that no longer shows up in that thread is http://forums.genvibe.com/files/importe ... tCable.jpg It shows where the cable attaches to the door on the left side of the front passenger foot well.

Its not a big deal to make the cable adjustment, tomorrow I'll just disconnect the cable from the door and see if that affects the movement of the knob. If it does, then maybe the cable got unhooked from the door in your car.

EDIT I just checked my 03, with the cable disconnected from the blend door, my knob still only rotates from the proper two end stops, the blue and red dots. This tells me that those stops are something in the knob mechanism, and not from a misadjusted, disconnected or "worn" cable. I have never had that HVAC control out of the car, so I can't say what is supposed to make it stop at the end dots, I can say that the dealership was wrong that the problem was from a worn cable.
End EDIT

For what its worth, looking at what you posted, it looks like you got the image tags and such right, but it also looks like you hosted your images on photos.google.com, and although I can see the links when I quote your post, I don't see the images. When I try to just hit the image URL, https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... PqGTrzOEb7 for the first one, google asks me to log on. Since I don't normally log on to google (they already know too much about me) I don't see your pics