New user - How to insert image?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VibeGT2003jgh

New user - How to insert image?

Post by VibeGT2003jgh »

When I click on insert image all I see is Image. I can't copy the image here.
joatmon

Re: New user - How to insert image?

Post by joatmon »

There are two ways to insert an image.

The first is for an image that is somewhere else on the public internet, something out there that you are allowed to link to. The image will have a URL, which you can sometimes find by right clicking on the image and copying the URL or location (depending on browser)

Then, when you are creating or editing a post here at genvibe, you can manually type the image tags [img] and [/img] and put the image URL between those two tags. For example, my avatar here at genvibe is at url
http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?avatar=876_1522675075.jpg so if I put that between the image tags, like
[img]http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?avatar=876_1522675075.jpg[/img]
the image shows up in the post like this

Related, you can also click on the image button in the row of icons above the test entry area, I guess the one that looks like a sun over mountains, between the asterisk and chain buttons, that will put the image tags in your post wherever the cursor currently is. Then you have to copy (or type) the image URL between the tags, like above.

The second way is to upload the image to the forum from your local computer. There is a file size limit currently of about 512 KB. since most digital cameras these days take pictures that are many megabytes, they will need to be either resized or cropped to get the file size to be less than 512Kb. (Probably a good idea, I don't need to see a giant 15 megapixel image in the browser) Anyway, once you have the >512KB image ready, when typing your post, below the text box, below the save draft/preview/submit buttons, there are two tabs, options and attachments. Click on the attachments tab and then click the Add files button. This should open up a file browser on your local computer, where you can select the local file to be uploaded.

Once the file is uploaded, you can click in your post to position the cursor where you want the image to be displayed, then in the attachments tab, click Place inline,

For example, I couldn't determine the URL for the image tag icon I mentioned above, so I did a screen capture then cropped that down to just show the image icon button, which I saved to my local PC as img-icon.jpg. I then used the attachment tab to add the file and then I put my cursor on the next line and clicked the place inline button
img-icon.jpg
img-icon.jpg (1.41 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
just for fun, I added a second file, this one my favorite from an ice sculpture contest I saw in Fairbanks a couple of winters ago. It was lifesize, the horse was horse sized. This one was titled "Soul Collector. I added the file, and then hit place inline.
SoulCollector.jpg
SoulCollector.jpg (63.37 KiB) Viewed 6267 times

If you upload a file, you don't have to place it inline. Sometimes I do that for pictures that I want big to really show detail but would overpower the average user's browser space, or for non-image files that don't really make sense to try to display in line

If you upload a file, you can add a text description for it, but I usually don't bother if I'm going to have the picture display.
I uploaded a file named performa.pdf, and gave it the file comment of "03 Matrix performance Specs. You should see it listed below

My preference is for people to upload images to the forum instead of hosting them elsewhere. There are a number of really good instructional threads here where someone used externally hosted pictures, and then over the years they moved away from Vibedom and stopped hosting their pictures, and now they just show up as broken image links, the value they once added now lost. The disadvantage to uploading pics here is the size limit, some people don't know how to crop or resize, its too onerous a task, etc. Also, there's a limit of three attachments to any post, so if you nwant to upload a dozen pictures, you have to do it over four posts, three pics each. But once you upload them, we'll still see them even if you decide to not care about Vibes down the road.

The user control panel (click on your username under the search box above) , in the Options tab has a Manage attachments tool where you can see all the files you've uploaded. well, at least all you've uploaded since the major forum software change in 2012,
Attachments
performa.pdf
03 Matrix Performance Specs
(476.22 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
KingKrab65

Re: New user - How to insert image?

Post by KingKrab65 »

Awesome tutorial. I may actually be able to post an image of my Vibe now. :)
2003 Base Vibe