REBUILT salvage title...would you buy it?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Valvibe

REBUILT salvage title...would you buy it?

Post by Valvibe »

Hi, I've owned an '03 Vibe for the last 8 years and she's been going strong, but needing more repairs as the years go on. She's got 220,500 miles right now. I love her but I've been thinking someday I'd like to get a newer Vibe with fewer miles, but low mileage ones are hard to come by as you know.

I have an opportunity to buy an '06 the only has 60K miles from a private seller for only $5,000, but it is a rebuilt/salvage title. The gentleman showed me exactly where the damage was due to a side impact; he purchased it from an auction and then worked with a local mechanic to replace the passenger door and parts of the door frame. The car seems to be in perfect working order other than needing to shut the left passenger door slightly harder than the other. There is no trace of damage just to look at it. Interior is in perfect shape and super clean, almost like new.

I plan to get the car on a lift and have someone check the alignment and such things.

Would you buy a car like this? I wouldn't be super concerned about resale as I plan to drive it as long as possible, just like my current Vibe. But I've never owned a salvage title car before.
ehoff121

Re: REBUILT salvage title...would you buy it?

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

I think the price sounds a bit high, even with low miles. Time is the worse enemy of vehicles than miles, especially with these engines when they are well maintained.

Frame integrity is the other concern, considering a door needs to be slammed to shut :shock:

I would take a newer vehicle with higher miles over a salvage with low miles any day, but that's me...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Valvibe

Post by Valvibe »

Really? Hmm, okay. I've been looking in my area for a little while and many that age with way more miles people want up to $7K. I could go a bit newer, but I just don't want an '09 because I hate the changes they made to the body style. The back posts are already large and make seeing to back up a pain, but the '09 looks like they diminished the back window even more.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

We have owned cars that have been in accidents prior to our purchase. One of them was a 2000 Ford Contour with front end damage fixed. There was one nagging thing: somehow the steering made a knocking sound. Somebody did not fully tighten the steering rack mounting bolts. Its alignment was good but the body panel gaps were not perfect. and there was some color mismatch. The car did well for my wife's commute and it turned out to be the cheapest car for that purpose. She did only about 5000 miles per year.

The other one is a 2008 Hyundai Sonata that my son is driving. Again there is evidence of a repair to the front left of the car. The fender's paint is mismatched. This car needed major cleaning, fluid changes, brake work and an electrical fix. It's alignment was nearly perfect. Right front trail is one half a degree out of spec. It is reliable and I enjoy driving it now.

I will not discourage you from buying the fixed up Vibe. Yes, time will do a number on rubber parts but the steel, aluminum, glass, fabric, plastic and electronics are holding up really well.
A side impact that requires work on the door frame is a bit worrysome though. It could have the effect of making the wheelbase on that side shorter. It may still align to spec but they won't measure the wheelbase. But we don't know. It could be just fine.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I totally agree ehoff. Unless a car is garaged and sealed out from rodents, time kills cars. Time includes exposure to moisture, salt (air and road), radiation and heat/cold extreme impacts to plastic and electronics, and natural rubber degradation. To nearly a tee, every generation of car is better than the last. They are safer, less prone to breakdowns and have a head start on lasting longer given they have not been exposed to the elements as long. A properly oiled car can run for many hundreds of thousands of miles. I'd always choose a newer model with high miles and the service records to prove it has been maintained properly. Regarding the second gen Vibe, I think it is better in just about every way. Yes the back window is a bit smaller, but if that is your only argument against it, both you and I are fighting a losing battle. I too hate the small rear windows on cars today. Unfortunately that leaves you and I buying a Subaru Forester. Every other car is sloped in the back to aid in wind flow and meet CAFE standards.
Regarding buying a rebuilt titled car, here in CA, if someone spits on a car the title is rebranded. I have not figured out why insurance companies simply declare cars with minor accidents a loss. As long as airbags were not deployed and as long as a wheel well was not involved, and as long as the car's frame was not impacted, I'd buy a rebuilt title car all day long. Good luck with your decision.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Last year I paid $4500 for a one-owner 05 with 101k, so for me $5000 for an 06 with only 60k is not out of line. I wonder if the door issue is as simple as a latch adjustment?

Here in Wyoming a salvage title is not required for vehicles over 8 model years old. When my 08 got totaled in 2015 I was worried that I'd have to get a branded title when I renewed that August, but the clerk said that since some 2016 models were already out she would consider mine 8 model years old. When it got totaled again last year I didn't even give it a thought.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
viberdan

Post by viberdan »

Hi! I'm a very recent member and a new 09 Vibe owner. The Vibe is actually one of the very few vehicles that my wife and I have owned that doesn't have a rebuilt title. We have owned some pretty nice vehicles with rebuilt titles. Having said that, we've always been able to see the pictures of the damage, and of course had them thoroughly checked out before buying. From our experience, we have always been fortunate in getting good cars. When I was looking for the one I have now, I noticed a lot of different year Vibes, all over the country. So I think there is probably one out there for you. Viberdan