keyless entry

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rhutrho

keyless entry

Post by rhutrho »

hi guys
04 vibe 123000..front o2 sensor and that' s all
recently lost key and remote . ordered one generic for toyota online with instructions. after i stood on my left foot , touched my nose and rubbed my forehead and followed the instructions the remote was programmed . something weird that did not happen before . if the vehicle is unlocked with the remote.. after a few minutes the doors self lock.
found original remote under the seat and it now reacts the same as the generic.
does the original camry / vibe / matrix etc remote automatically lock the doors after a certain amount of time ? :?:
SlammedNiss

Re: keyless entry

Post by SlammedNiss »

Yes, if you unlock with the remote and don't open the door, my Matrix will relock all doors after a minute or so. This is normal and I don't know if it can be programmed differently.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My 03 does that. Unlock with the remote and do not open a door, it will auto re-lock. I also think there's no way to change it. A security "feature", kinda makes sense. I havent found it to be a problem, if I ever hit unlock instead of lock while walking away and it auto re-locked, I didnt notice
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

03/04 relock the doors after about 30 seconds or so if you do not open a door. I believe 05-08 does not do this as my 07 doesn't relock the doors. I have both programmed to the same remotes so if I get in my 03, I make sure after I start the 03 I relock the doors on the 07. I haven't checked on my mom's 05 if it does the same thing.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Interesting that the newer ones didn't automatically lock themselves back if no door was opened. The newer ones also received programmable door locks (on automatics) so they made quite a few changes with the system it seems.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this automatically re-locking business over the last 16 years. Handy to have if you inadvertently unlock the car, otherwise an annoyance if your 30 seconds is up before you can get to the door. :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Our 2009 GT's do NOT do this either. Must have been limited to the first couple model years of the Vibe :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

2009+ the auto relocking feature can be programmed at the dealer.
2009 Vibe Base
Mark

Post by Mark »

I was hoping I could search and find a secret handshake sequence to disable this feature. Some open-close-open-key on-key off-close-key on thing maybe. My 04 is 30 seconds just like zbyers says, but the 05 and 08 don't have it. Used to drive me nuts, now I just deal with it. I used to bike commute most days, so I would unlock the door on the Vibe, stick the keys in the bag under the bike seat, zip it closed and then open the door of the car to grab a stick of gum from the pack in the console. Very frustrating when the door lock would click just as my hand grabbed the handle.

When I got it back from my daughter earlier this year she mentioned that that was the single most annoying thing about the car after driving it for 5 years.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Not helpful, but my 07 Vibe has that same feature.

I think it's like the "Lock the doors when you start the car" and "Unlock the doors when you shut off the car" garbage.