Axles too short

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
dazle1

Axles too short

Post by dazle1 »

So I searched the forum but found no answer and I find it hard to believe Im the only one with the problem. I have a 2004 vibe with Auto trans, no ABS, No AWD, no GT. I got replacement axles and they are too short. I took off the right side and installed the new one and the shaft didnt come all the way thru to put on the nut. Took it off and put the old and new side by side and the replacement is 35 15/16" and doesnt need to be compressed(there is no springing out in the inside cv). Mine is 37" and when I compress it , it's about 36 1/2". i LOOKED ONLINE AND FOUND 35 15/16" AND 36 1/16" right cv axles being sold, Autozone has the 35 15/16". No one has a 36 1/2" like mine. I didnt take the left out but measured from one spot on the axle to another and compared that to the replacement. Mine measured 18 5/8", the replacement 17 5/8" to the same 2 points. So it appears that both my axles are longer than the replacements which are apparently what is being sold. Also the replacement doesnt have to be compressed to measure it because the inside cv joints dont spring out . I did notice that all the ones online stated the measurements were compressed, so what is missing in this replacement that it doesnt spring out? Also am I the only one with longer axles than are being sold as replacements? I would have to literally stretch the inside cv joint apart to get this to bolt up. Please help. I can find no answers. : :(
hogdoctor

Re: Axles too short

Post by hogdoctor »

The only thing that makes the joint "pop out" like you said is air pressure. They need to be extended properly when the clamps are installed on the boot, otherwise they can pop out of the transmission (ask me how I know)- Question in my mind, are these shafts you took out of your car not the original ones, and someone at some prior date installed the wrong shafts? And possibly you have the correct shafts now, but the boots just need to be inflated to get them to the proper length? Maybe AWD shafts? (could be longer since it sits higher)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

the 5 speed, 6 speed, and automatic axles are slightly different in length. you may need to have the parts store pull each so you can compare and grab the correct ones. also make sure you get the correct spline count.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

Thankyou 4 your replies, i thought i would get an email notice but didnt so I thought no one had replied. I see now u have to check a box for that.
Regarding the popping out. It sure feels like alot more than air since it is kind of hard to compress and immediately pops right back out when not being compressed. So how do I get them 'aired up' since the boots are on? Never thought those boots were air tight. Wow.
The 2 sizes I listed are being sold for the auto trans, non awd for the 2004, plus the awd and manual trans are a different shape.
Why are they both shorter than mine? If mine were too long I would think it wouldnt bolt up at the bottom when finishing the install. Having to pull that inside joint apart to get the new ones to bolt up seems like that would cause instability and vibration, especially at high speed. On other vehicles Ive owned, the slightist play in the cv joints caused bad vibration, plus ive never seen a joint that would separate like that, must be a toyota thing. All american vehicles Ive owned, the joints were solid.
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Just wondering — what condition would necessitate a new axle?
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

When I do the inboard joint reboot on my civic, the factory manual specifies an uncompressed length that the shaft has to be after assembly. Before sealing the inboard clamp, I slide a pick under the boot for a vent, and pull the shaft out of the joint to that length, then remove the pick and clamp the boot to trap the air needed to provide the force that keeps the joint from popping out of the transmission while in use. I haven't had the pleasure yet on the Vibe, but I was rebooting the civic shafts about every six years. I inspected them every oil change and when they started showing cracks about half the thickness of the boot, I'd invest the $12 on new boots and grease instead of waiting for the boot to completely blow out and get destroyed. Over 200k on the original shafts, as long as the boots stay intact, they last forever.
That said, I believe you were given the incorrect shafts if they are that much shorter, either they were boxed incorrectly or pulled incorrectly. Take your measurements with you and exchange them for shafts that match what you took out. If you can't return them, consider just swapping the new joints onto your original shaft.
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

Thanks Hogdoctor I hadnt even considered swapping out the joints to my shafts. Clearly these boots were attached totally compressed and they stay that way. Its not like they are stretched way up the axle, keeping the joint tight, instead the boots are actually very compressed, unlike the boots on the ones in the car which are very expanded. This is the 2nd time you've stated that they can pop out of the tranny in this condition. I had contacted a rebuild shop that told me just to install them and the bellows would eventually work out but from what you're are posting , Im not so sure! the shop told me the retainer ring would keep it from popping out.
Last edited by dazle1 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

Ihaveavibe- I do know if you drive the car in tight circles right and left ,in a parking lot and you hear popping, that the the axle on the outside of the circle is bad. My problem is vibration at high speeds when my tires are balanced. The traditional way for U.S. cars is to get under the vehicle with the tires supported(like on a ramp) and try to move the axle. If there is ANY movement up and down, forward or backward the cv joint(s) is(are) bad! Problem is, Ive never dealt with a foreign axle where the inside joint isnt solid but moves in and out. When i get under this vibe I can move that axle about an inch it seems, front to back. If that were an american car you couldnt drive it for all the vibration! I dont know if that movement constitutes it being bad but I couldnt get an answer from anyone so I just thought I'd replace them to see if that stopped the high speed vibration.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

I'm not clear where you're getting and inch of front to back movement. If the inner joint is flopping around in the transmission, then the bore of the differential is worn out. If it's the guts of the inner joint flopping around, then yeah, replace the joint. There's plenty of you tube videos that show how to take the joints apart. Re-use your axles if you can't find the correct complete shafts.
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

The movement is in the tripod joint. If I had that kind of movement in any American vehicle Ive owned I couldnt drive it for the vibration at any speed would be horrendous. On my Chrysler minivan i had a vibration and it was caused by a barely perceptible movement in the shaft. This car drives fine until i get to 55mph. Its smooth till then. Hopefully I can work on it this weekend but currently its raining! Yea, ive watched many videos so I got schooled on the interior of the cv and tripod joints and how to change them. I also learned that there are several different designs for the bearing setup in the tripod joints. I dont know if that makes a difference in how tight they are but will know once I get these changed. Thanks for your suggestion to just use my shafts.