New to forum

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Cyberviber

New to forum

Post by Cyberviber »

Hi Everyone,

We just purchased a used 2005 Pontiac Vibe for my daughter. I have a questions: why did it take me so long to discover these fantastic vehicles? What an amazing package. My wife loves it so much she wants me to find another one for her. My daughter's budget meant that we had to look for an older one but I started looking for newer one's for my wife. Trouble is, I don't like the newer designs (post 2008) and they are apprently missing certain things like the separate lifting glass in the tailgate and the front seats don't go back as far. Any opinions on the 2008 and later model and how they compare with the earlier ones?

Thanks!
Caretaker

Re: New to forum

Post by Caretaker »

front seats don't go back as far? I've owned both generations. I found the second generation to be better in almost every way. Yes the front passenger seat does not fold flat, and yes there is no separate liftgate pass through glass. Other than that, I'd always steer any potential buyer to the second generation Vibe for one important reason: time kills cars, mileage does not. Unless you own a car that is 100% garage kept and driven only 1,000 miles a year, the older the car, the more you can expect to pay in repairs. While I'm glad you have found the Vibe, "it ain't perfect." I would put it on my short list of recommended used vehicles ONLY if an owner could prove to me that the car has been impeccably maintained and that it did not burn oil. Honda has several models which have stood the test of time better than the Vibe, as have other Toyota models such as the Highlander. Good luck with your search. Don't buy too old a vehicle.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe CyberViber :D I talked my son into getting a Vibe for his first car shortly BEFORE he got his drivers license! That was SEVEN years ago :o Fast forward to today and roughly 80,000 miles that he put on it, ZERO repairs needed! One set of tires, brakes, and a new windshield. That's it! Oh and here in Ohio he only paid $175/ 6 months full coverage on what was only a two year old car at the time, for his insurance. You can't go wrong for the $$$
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Cyberviber wrote:Hi Everyone,

We just purchased a used 2005 Pontiac Vibe for my daughter. I have a questions: why did it take me so long to discover these fantastic vehicles? What an amazing package. My wife loves it so much she wants me to find another one for her. My daughter's budget meant that we had to look for an older one but I started looking for newer one's for my wife. Trouble is, I don't like the newer designs (post 2008) and they are apprently missing certain things like the separate lifting glass in the tailgate and the front seats don't go back as far. Any opinions on the 2008 and later model and how they compare with the earlier ones?

Thanks!
You must mean 2009 and later, the 2008 is almost identical to the 2005 you have. The 2008 adds ABS and side curtain airbags, not sure what else. 2009 lost the separate rear glass among other things. I found both my 2008 and 2005 on Craigslist. Also found a 2004 5-speed for $1200 that I missed buying by 10 minutes. Still kicking myself over that one. I would search CL for a 2005 - 2008 and depending on condition, maint records, etc.

I just found this one 40 miles away and would buy it sight unseen at the asking price. I'd probably pay more than asking if it's as clean as the seller says:
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 63921.html
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

"$ 20 to fill the tank"..... must be another one of those "nothing has ever gone wrong with my Vibe" owners. Yeah, I fill my tank for $ 20 here in California as well...............when the needle says 3/4ths full that is.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Caretaker wrote:"$ 20 to fill the tank"..... must be another one of those "nothing has ever gone wrong with my Vibe" owners. Yeah, I fill my tank for $ 20 here in California as well...............when the needle says 3/4ths full that is.
Not at all sure what that has to do with anything, especially the vehicle in question.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

read the craigslist ad
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I would NOT buy a car sight unseen!
Not long ago we here at the forum responded to an inquiry regarding an ad for a Vibe. We coaxed the person into paying for an inspection by a mechanic. It turned out the Vibe was in an accident that did not show up on Carfax.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Mark

Post by Mark »

Caretaker wrote:read the craigslist ad
Ok, he's BSing about his fill cost. So? Does that make the ad invalid or the car not worth looking at?

For all you know the owner never lets it get below 1/2 tank before filling, and $20 in that area gets you around 7 gal.