Blown Transmission. What to do next.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
suburbanguk

Blown Transmission. What to do next.

Post by suburbanguk »

Bought a used 2008 vibe a little over 5 years ago. Was a corp car with nearly 140,000 mostly highway miles and thorough maintenance records. After 5 years of light city use, had been running great and then with a clunk and a scream, the transmission was done for, at a little under 165K miles.

Shopped around a bit and was quoted between $1800-2500. I was planning on driving this car into the ground and had been hoping to get to at least 200k (which at the pace I use it would be 5+ years), and was really hoping it would last another 8-10 so I could pawn it off on one of the kids. Has anybody found it worthwhile to keep a Vibe going at this mileage after a major issue like this?

The question is, do I fix it and stay the course, or say goodbye to the vibe? After picking up a Honda Pilot last year, we don't have much in our replacement car budget (about $7k) -- a price point where I don't see much out there in terms a worthwhile upgrade.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Caretaker

Re: Blown Transmission. What to do next.

Post by Caretaker »

For $2,000 installed, I'd put the transmission in. If everything else on the car is good (tires, fluids, ignition coils, interior) and you are sure that regular maintenance was done on the car, I'd keep a car that is only 10 years old as long as it isn't burning oil.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Indeed, I agree with Caretaker.
You could also ask yourself: where do you get a Vibe like yours for $1800-2500?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The cost of the repair will very likely get you a better car than the same amount of money would if spent on a different car. Also check junkyards, and number near me offer installation, they might be another place to price shop for the work.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Spend the $$$ and keep this Vibe on the road! It will reward you with many more years of use! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

find a trans out of a junkyard for ~$500 and get some brews and bros and have a fun weekend doing a swap!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Dragonsm

Post by Dragonsm »

If I was in your shoes, I'd agree with the others and repair/replace the transmission on your current Vibe as long as it was in good shape.

Currently, I am in a position right now where I am having to replace a Vibe and as you pointed out, even with a price point of 7K, there isn't much out there. We have one Vibe locally for sale that's an 08 with 140K miles and asking on it is 5,500. With the jump in new car prices, used cars are following right along. It will be sickening in a few years when I need to find another vehicle.

My original thoughs with our Vibe was going to be to get a different vehicle for my wife in the next year, and I begin to drive it daily to/from work for the next couple of years until my daughter got her license and pass it on to her.......but other things happened.

There's no guarantee a different vehicle may not have issues down the road. Shop around, check out different shops and also the used/rebuilt market.

Steve
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Here's your used car market report. Happy reading:

https://www.edmunds.com/industry-center ... eport.html

After opening, scroll down and click on the large Edmunds USED CAR REPORT Q3 blue link