Looking to get back into a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
flatrate

Looking to get back into a Vibe

Post by flatrate »

Hello all, glad to have found a forum dedicated to the criminally underrated Vibe.

I am going to be buying one here in the next few months for a commuter car, what is everyone's general consensus as the best year/model to get?

I am shooting for non-AWD and under 180k miles, still up in the air between a manual or a auto trans. There are a few decent ones for sale in my area, I'm not rushing into one however.

Thanks for any input.
Caretaker

Re: Looking to get back into a Vibe

Post by Caretaker »

As I always say, unless your car is kept inside under a nice warm blanket at night, age kills cars; mileage doesn't. When looking for a used car, I always try to get the newest model year for the money. How about looking at the Toyota Matrix instead which ran for a few more model years longer than the Vibe? Since you are talking commuting only, look at the bullet proof Honda Fit which is equally as versatile as the Vibe but made for shorter drivers and shorter drives in my opinion. You are also much more likely to find a manual transmission with the Fit if that is your desire. I wouldn't pin myself down by only looking at a Vibe when GM stupidly ended the production earlier than it should have, leaving us Vibe hunters with less choices across the line.
flatrate

Post by flatrate »

The Matrix is running 1-2k more for what amounts to the same car, I'm fairly tall and the Fit is too cramped for me to commute in.

Thanks for the input, I am looking for the newest one I can find for a reasonable price, some of these listings are just bananas though, 6-10k for a Vibe? Not happening.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

since you are tall like me, also look at Hyundai Elantra Touring wagons. I see a lot of manual transmission models for sale that nobody wants. They are 5 speed manuals. The OEM automatic had issues and many, like me, had the re-manufactured tranny put in (successfully). If you do go this route, make sure you ask the owner to show you that they replaced the automatic transmission fluid at regular 50,000 mile intervals or so. Otherwise, it is a fantastic car.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Most prefer the 03-08 vibes as they are a hair more versatile. flat loading area at the bumper, it's recessed on the 09-10. the hatch glass opens on the 03-08, but not on the 09-10.

manual vs. auto is really personal preferences. the 05+ five speeds is reliable. the 03-04 had bad bearings occasionally causing the trans to self destruct if you're not the best manual drive. the 03 GT is a favorite for most...6 speed, lift, etc. It's fun to drive.

Another option many Vibers are looking at for replacements is the Sonic Hatchback. Little smaller, but almost as versatile and reliable.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Go for a 2010 base manual for ultra reliability. The ultra base with no AC and crank windows will also be much cheaper on the market. I know it's not for everyone but it's refreshing to not spend one dollar on any AC parts, power door actuator, power window motors, regulators, run channels, door latches, etc. All of that is manual in my Vibe, my previous car, a Civic Si while the powertrain was bullet proof those parts were nightmare, kept breaking and very costly. Be careful with high mileage ones, could have been used for Uber or deliveries.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I 'stuck' my odometer on my 2003 vibe, and didn't really have much in the way of issues with it. (Starter, blower motor, door actuator, door check strap, couple of regulators, and all four door handles)

At that point, it needed the whole front end redone - close to $4k to get someone else to do all of it. I didn't have the time to do it myself. So I passed the car to someone who _could_ put that into it, and they're still driving it.

I then went and picked up a 2007 pontiac vibe with 135k miles on it, changed the fluids, and I've been driving it for the last two years with no real issues. Personally, if you can find one with decent maintenance records (pay for the CarFax once you've found a good one!), as long as it's under 20k miles per year, it's probably not been heavily abused. (Texas is 18k per year as an average, 12k a year is ONLY for the northeast) Watch out for salt damage, of course.

My personal experience is that age doesn't kill the Vibe. Bad treatment kills the Vibe. I'd be more suspicious of a Vibe with 50k miles than one with 160k miles - the 160k mils means that it's been moving. 50k means it's been sitting.

My other suggestion? Unless you're experienced with doing the repairs and checks, pay a mechanic to do a thorough check on the car. Expect to have to pay for belts, hoses, fluid changes, rotors, pads, drums, and shoes, and always keep that in your mental 'cost' calculations. Maybe windshield.

Avoid the moonroof if you can. Mine isn't leaking that I can tell, but it's a worthless piece of crap to me, and I can't even find replacement seals. (The subwoofer is also annoying, but that can be fixed with fiberfil in the compartment later)
flatrate

Post by flatrate »

Bookworm wrote: My other suggestion? Unless you're experienced with doing the repairs and checks, pay a mechanic to do a thorough check on the car. Expect to have to pay for belts, hoses, fluid changes, rotors, pads, drums, and shoes, and always keep that in your mental 'cost' calculations. Maybe windshield.
Yeah these are going to be factored in, fully expect to go through the car before putting it on the road, I have a few for sale near me but they are getting hard to find.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

flatrate wrote: Yeah these are going to be factored in, fully expect to go through the car before putting it on the road, I have a few for sale near me but they are getting hard to find.
Welcome to GenVibe! Update profile for us! Where is "near me"? We could be your neighbor and not even know it. Hope you get back into a
Vibe real soon ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote:Avoid the moonroof if you can. Mine isn't leaking that I can tell, but it's a worthless piece of crap to me, and I can't even find replacement seals. (The subwoofer is also annoying, but that can be fixed with fiberfil in the compartment later)
Sunroof seal is still available from Toyota. Toyota P/N: 63251-02020.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Avoid the moonroof if you can. Mine isn't leaking that I can tell, but it's a worthless piece of crap to me, and I can't even find replacement seals. (The subwoofer is also annoying, but that can be fixed with fiberfil in the compartment later)
Sunroof seal is still available from Toyota. Toyota P/N: 63251-02020.
Wow, pricey, but thank you for the part number. I may get one now just to keep as a just in case. Is that the part around the glass, or around the edge of the hole? On mine, the rubber around the glass is showing some small cracks, but the main seal seems to be okay.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

That should be around the glass.