Introduction

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!

Introduction

Post by 2006 »

Hello,
Pretty lame username I know, but hey it was quick.......... and it took it! I'm located about an hour east of Toronto. I'm sure there are a few other Canucks in here.

I have been asking guys at work to let me know if they know of a cheap reliable car that I can get a hold of for my daughter, who should be able to drive on her own by November. The last guy I talked to told me that he's looking for a new car to replace his 2006 Vibe. I told him I would think about it, but the more I researched, the more it seemed that getting it was a no-brainer. Although I had not seen it, another co-worker told me that his seems to be in pretty good shape (he is a Vibe owner himself), so I told him I would take it site unseen. It's got 250,000 km on it.....about 155,000 miles, but from what I have been reading there's a lot more life left in this sucker! I should be getting a hold of it in the first week of August. All I know about it is that it is red, had oil changes every 5000km, alternator replaced 2 years ago, blower motor replaced last year, and the interior light doesn't work. Also he got hit last year in the right-rear which was repaired (no frame damage).

Needless to say I'll be spending a lot of time on here.....quietly in the background as I search for various tips/suggestions/procedures for various repair/maintenance tasks as I plan on doing.

Hopefully I can add something or help someone in some way as I go through various threads as well.
tpollauf

Re: Introduction

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe .... you Canuck :lol: I was just through your area last week on my way to Pembroke (right on the Ottawa river) picking up a rare Canadian marketed jet ski for us to use down here on Lake Erie in Ohio! Anyways has this vibe been treated for rust protection? Krown or RustChek? It seems like a lot of you guys insist on that to make your cars last longer. RustChek is available here in the states but no Krown. Other than that you won't regret getting this car for your little girl. Keep us posted on all progress and repairs made. Thanks for joining!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You have definitely come to the right place for everything Vibe-related! Definitely post some pictures when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage

Post by 2006 »

Well, finally have the Vibe in my posession! Figured I had to add a photo, so here it is. It's in pretty good shape with nearly 250,000 kilometres on it. So far I did an oil/filter change (synthetic), replaced the spark plugs, flushed the power steering fluid, replaced the belt, cleaned the battery terminals, replaced the front pads....rotors still had a lot of meat left, (although the dust shields are pretty rough). Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of replacing those until it's time to do a bearing(s). I also replaced the oil pressure switch as a preventative measure since I have been told about leakers. Picked up a couple of drums and painted those bad boys today, as well as shoes and spring kit. I wish all drums had the threaded holes in them....it makes the job so much easier! Today I wanted to get the drums off to verify the brake shoes (I saw two listings, but figured this one had the narrow ones...base model)....No ABS either, which I thought was a bit weird. Oh yeah, I have since painted the wheels since taking this picture. A lot nicer than seeing rust.

Also have a tranny filter kit yet to be done (plan on just using fluid from the Toyota dealer), and will be flushing the brake fluid sometime soon as well. The dome light needs work (only works when you press on the switch)....so hopefully I can scrounge one up at a wrecking yard. Don't think I'll be doing much else with it, except get some touch-up paint to cover up chips, and remove the driver's side sill plate to grind out some rust and give it some paint before it gets out of hand. Not sure if it will need anything for the safety, but will find out soon enough I guess.

Sorry for rambling on. I may be more excited about this car than my daughter, which we got it for. She can get her G2 in November.
Attachments
Vibe 1.jpg
Vibe 1.jpg (155.46 KiB) Viewed 965 times
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Better late then never :P! Nice looking Salsa!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Clause

Post by Clause »

Hello everyone!

My name is Clause, i'm new here, happy to be part of this dynamic community. can't wait to chat and exchanging experiences with you here.

see you in the discussion threads! :)