Alarm when key left in car in accessory position?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Cara

Alarm when key left in car in accessory position?

Post by Cara »

I am an absent minded dolt. I have repeatedly left my key in my car for over an hour, in the accessory position. I am either distracted by my dogs being hyper that they're at the park, or have my hands full and putting my windows down for ventilation right after I park at work... No excuses, I'm friggin' absent minded.

But is there some alarm in the '03 Vibe that I have accidentally turned off, that recognizes that I'm not in the seat, but the key is on, and I've just shut the door? Something that will let me know I'm about to drain my battery and strand myself?

I know - I need to tie the keys to my waist - but that doesn't work well when I park it in the garage and WANT to leave the keys in it.

Any tips?
Cara
andrewclaus

Re: Alarm when key left in car in accessory position?

Post by andrewclaus »

Does the dome light turn on when you open the door? How about the "door open" indicator on the dash? The door switch might be faulty.

If that other stuff works, it might be a failed beeper module or wiring. I don't think there's any way for you to turn it off.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

There should be an alarm sounding if the key is in ACC and the door is open. Happens to me all the time when pumping gas and I leave the radio on for my daughter in the car.

If your dome light is working correctly, then I'd suspect that someone may have disabled the chime. The only way I'm aware of doing that is by physically removing the buzzer from the rear of the cluster. Do you have any other chime sounds? Headlights on with key off? No seat belt? (If you have a GT, reverse gear beep?)
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Cara

Post by Cara »

I misspoke, unfortunately - another symptom of absent-mindedness.

I'm leaving the ignition in the "ON" position. That's the only position (besides running) where I can roll my windows down for ventilation or up to prevent rain coming in, which is what I do immediately after getting out of the car at work, while shopping, when starting a dog walk at the park.

So I mess with my windows, grab my stuff and go -- and, in the ON position, there's no alarm.

Kinda sucks. I've taken to putting a long lanyard on my work bag, and TRYING to remember to attach it to the keys when I get in the car before I commute. Don't know what I'll do when walking the dogs, other than just try to focus.

Wish me luck. I'm also trying to make sure I remember how to connect jumper cables, so I have that going for me when I *do* forget to turn off my car...
Cara
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Ahhh... Being in the ON position is a different beast altogether. I'm sure you could rig something up, but there's no factory option for a door alarm in the ON position.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Aging sucks.

I did it again. Pulled the car into the garage, shut the car, turned the ignition back on to roll the windows down (to air out the dog smells), got quickly out of the car to let my whining dogs out ... and left the key on. All night. Fortunately, I'm now a pro at jumping the dead battery from our charger, in the morning, so I don't have to embarrass myself in front of my husband.

But I'd really like to ADD, if possible, some kind of dash light or add-on ignition-on alert chime..

Anyone know how I'd start? What would this even be called?
Cara
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm sure there are other ways, but if for some reason I had the same problem, I'd probably go with one of the following two mods.

Option 1 would be to hook up a switch that would allow energizing the Power relay when the ignition was off, That way, you could open and close the windows with no key in the ignition, but set it up through a switch so you could disable the mod for security when you need to.

Option 2 would be to buy another buzzer and hook it up between a constant +12V and the ground that the alternator sends to the instrument cluster to light up the battery warning light. That way, when the key was in ON but the engine wasn't running, it would beep, but wouldn't beep all the time you were driving.

I didn't look into it enough to figure out exactly what would be required but either one probably involves cutting and splicing wires in the car somewhere, which if done wrong could cause a lot of problems, and I don't know how comfortable you are with those kinds of things

Obviously, it would be easier to modify behavior. Maybe there's something you could do to enforce a habit of taking the keys out of the car. Pick someplace inside you will see a lot, like the front of the refrigerator, or the bathroom door, put a hook on it, and always hang your keys there. Put an automatic lock on the bathroom door and put the key on your car key ring.

honestly, its a bit hard to relate. If I left my keys in the car, I'd come back to find not a dead battery but a missing car

good luck
Cara

Post by Cara »

Thanks for the ideas, and you gave me a giggle when you said, "it would be easier to modify behavior." Nope! Not for me!
Cara