Looking at buying a Pontiac Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
450HP

Looking at buying a Pontiac Vibe

Post by 450HP »

Good Day Everyone!

Looking at buying a Pontiac Vibe or a Toyota Matrix. Been looking online to replace my work car for some time now (2003 PT Cruiser).

What I've found online is that the 2008 Vibe/Matrix is a very reliable vehicle with the least amount of issues. I'm wondering if the 1.8L will have enough pep for me. I really like the 2009 GT models with the 2.4L but have read horror stories about the 2009 models burning a lot of oil (has this been the case with 2009 GT owners?).

I'm going to take a look around and see what others have to say but thought I'd introduce myself and start a thread on what I'm looking for.

C'ya around the watercooler...
Caretaker

Re: Looking at buying a Pontiac Vibe

Post by Caretaker »

well, how about adding 1 quart of oil every 900 miles on my 2zr 1.8 corolla engine? Now that's a horror story. This thing goes in the trash once the cat clogs up. If you want bullet proof in a small car, try any generation of the Honda Fit.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D . The horror stories you hear/read are few and far between. We own two of the 2009 Vibe GT's and one burns oil slightly (1 quart per 2000 miles) and the other does not at all! Next to nothing as far as maintenance, easy to work on, and sporty for a hatchback.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe :D . The horror stories you hear/read are few and far between. We own two of the 2009 Vibe GT's and one burns oil slightly (1 quart per 2000 miles) and the other does not at all! Next to nothing as far as maintenance, easy to work on, and sporty for a hatchback.
I agree with Tim. The oil burning isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Take that issue away, and the second gen is just as good as the first gen; it all comes down to preference of body style.

Owning a total of like 8 (one second gen) we definitely prefer the first gen. The flatter cargo area (no lip at the hatch), the hatch glass opening, and most of the interior/exterior features we enjoy more. The only thing I really like on our 2nd gen vs. the 1st gen is the location of the 110V and cig plug. It is much nicer being under the shifter, especially when the car is a manual.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to GenVibe!
If your screen name is any indication then the 1.8L will leave you unsatisfied. I have the 1.8 L and my wife has a Ford Focus with a 2L engine and we have a Hyundai Sonata with a 2.4 L engine that is competitive with the Toyota 2.4 L engine. There is no doubt which one delivers the goods. Even the Ford 2L engine has much better torque delivery than the 1.8 in my Vibe. Sure you play the odds with the oil consumption issue. But even if you happen to get one that uses oil you can manage it.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

As others have already said, the oil consumption issue is not that big of a deal. FWIW, it seems to affect mainly early 2008 built 2009s. My mom and I both have 2009 GTs, neither of which use any oil whatsoever. Their build dates are October 29, 2008 and November 17, 2008.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage