my 2004 vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
viberman

my 2004 vibe

Post by viberman »

I recently picked up a 2004 vibe , the car looks in great shape and after pulling the alternator and battery and having them tested found out battery was shot but alternator works great
installed the alternator and a new battery and the car stated like brand new
only issues I have is I have no lights, signals windows ,heater or nothing works
I checked all the fuses and some I could not check but changed out a few blowen fuses yet still nothing works inside the car

what could be causing this issue with the car
runningslow

Re: my 2004 vibe

Post by runningslow »

Did you check/replace all of the fuses under the dash and the ones in the engine compartment? I'd start with a list of all the fuses and what each one controls, then look for any common ground between the functions that don't work. That should at least help you narrow it down. Beyond that piece of advice, I'm no help with auto electrical.

You said you changed a few blown fuses? I'd be wary of the electrical system in that car.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

If that many fuses were blown and the battery was shot, there might have been some crossed wires from a previous owner, i.e., a bad jump or a battery connected backwards. There are three main fuse areas- two in the engine compartment and one under the driver's side dash. You'll need to go over all three carefully and inspect the ground connections to the body.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

There has to be a primary power feed wire for the fuse box, either coming off the positive battery terminal, or off the other end of the positive battery cable on the starter end, and they typically have a fusible link, i.e. a piece of wire that will sacrifice itself in a puff of smoke if there's a dead short between the power source and the fuse box. Sometimes they will blow and not lose the insulation, so they look fine, but when you tug on them, there isn't any wire inside and they fall apart. Look for that primary feed wire, ensure that it's connected and any fusible links are good.