A 2005 gets its second owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
thatmemphisvibe

A 2005 gets its second owner

Post by thatmemphisvibe »

I bought my first Vibe two years ago, a 2008 with 183K, and have been thoroughly satisfied with it. For the past year, my wife has been griping about the Honda Accord that she drives, complaining about how hard it is to get into and out of. I was worried that when she retired, she would never leave the house. So, when I finally decided to replace the Honda, I began looking at Vibes and Matrixes. I was hoping for a 2010 and did look at one, but got, shall we say, bad vibes from it though the carfax did not indicate any problems.
Finally, I went after a 2005 that I had seen in a dealer's inventory for several months, probably because it was overpriced. I made him an offer at the low end of KBB's range -- $4,000 -- and he took it. Yes, I'm not the bargainer most folks are around here.
It's a one-owner central Mississippi car, all red with 169K. It's amazing how much cleaner it is inside. Came with two original keys and the manual. I put tires and a fan belt on it. The drain plug threads gave up the ghost, and a piggyback plug didn't fix things, so it has a new oil pan. It's not going to be driven a ton of miles, so I'm optimistic that it will be a good driver for a good while. It's about where my 2008 is in terms of expenditure, but more of it has been up front. My 2008 had a quirky problem with the cooling fan a couple of months in, and I replaced the tires this year.
I would post a pic, but I remember the process as being a pain. Suffice to say, it's a handsome vehicle, better looking than my 2008 frosty with the faded and stained gray plastic.
vibenvy

Re: A 2005 gets its second owner

Post by vibenvy »

Awesome! It's a true testament to just how great Vibes really are that we have so many members that have 2 or more Vibes in their family! Definitely post some pictures of the newest family member when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Like Carrie said, and coming from another "multiple Vibe owner" it's great to hear stories like this. I have a 14 year old niece eying up my 2003 Black Vibe GT project car for when she becomes a driver in two more years. Yeah it may just take me that long before I get it in the shop and perform surgery on it (engine issues) but it will stay in the family and get more miles on it! She may not like the idea of paying for the premium fuel and she WILL learn & enjoy the 6-speed manual tranny, or else she doesn't get the car!!!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

tpollauf wrote:Like Carrie said, and coming from another "multiple Vibe owner" it's great to hear stories like this. I have a 14 year old niece eying up my 2003 Black Vibe GT project car for when she becomes a driver in two more years. Yeah it may just take me that long before I get it in the shop and perform surgery on it (engine issues) but it will stay in the family and get more miles on it! She may not like the idea of paying for the premium fuel and she WILL learn & enjoy the 6-speed manual tranny, or else she doesn't get the car!!!
I wonder if I can keep my '05 GT on the road long enough for my 5 yo daughter? :D It'll only be 24 year old car when the time comes.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jkid873

Post by Jkid873 »

Great to see people still buying this car. My 2004 just hit 160k miles now this car is durable, I hope you enjoy yours.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Frosty was purchased in 2006 with 38k, is now at 180k and is going strong.
Stealth was purchased in 2013 with 75k, is now at 110k, has been totaled, salvaged and repaired three times, and is still going strong.
Sattie was purchase in 2018 with 101k and will be with us for a very long time.

I've been thinking of seeing if my daughter would want to trade me Frosty for Sattie. Both have Moons & Tunes and are basically identical. She'd have a newer car with much lower miles, and I'd get my original baby back baby back baby back....
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Jkid873

Post by Jkid873 »

Very nice car names also a vibe family is very cool.