Another newbie

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerryV

Another newbie

Post by JerryV »

I have a couple of friends who really like their Vibes so when I saw an 09 GT project on Craigslist nearby, I picked it up. Looks like I should have done more research before jumping into the deep end, but hopefully it will turn into a good car. I don't need it for a daily driver at this point so I will take my time either rebuilding or replacing the engine. It is the 2.4L which apparently has a reputation for sticking rings and burning oil. This one looks to have had a rod let go, but I won't know for sure until I have some time to work on it.

I'm sure I will have a few questions as I get into it so thanks in advance.

Jerry
ehoff121

Re: Another newbie

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Good luck on your restoration and be sure to take a few pics to share along the way...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to GenVibe!
You may face the question 'rebuild or replace?' I would opt for 'replace'. In any case keep us posted.
Wishing you the best of results!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! We (my mom and I) have 2 09 GTs and absolutely love them! As stated, you should start a thread in the GenVibe Garage forum to document the "restoration" of the Vibe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Jerry! As the legal owner of Four Vibe Gt's (2-2009, 1- 2003, 1-2004) I'd say you won't regret this purchase. Hopefully you have the resources, space, tooling, to restore this Vibe back to good health. Post pics on all your progress and update your profile so we kind of know where you're located. Thanks ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JerryV

Post by JerryV »

Well my Vibe project got shelved for a while due to other commitments, but it has finally resurfaced. My space to work on it is quite limited which is going to slow things down but hopefully with the weather turning nicer, I will be able to shuffle the toys around and move some outside when I have to.

I have started pulling things apart to see how bad it really is. Still looks like a rod let go. There is a hole in the upper oil pan and I found a bunch of shrapnel in the lower pan. Probably going to look for a replacement engine. I see a bunch of places advertising JDM engines with low miles. Has anyone used one of these? Of course there are no Vibes in Japan for donors, but maybe a 2AZFE from a Camry or Corolla would work. I can get an engine from a local salvage yard, but most of them have at least 150k miles and may not be in very good shape.

Jerry
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I _think_ the engine was used in a number of different cars. I know nothing about the 2009+ Vibes or Matrices, other than the engine leaks oil :)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Yeah, the 2AZ was used in a variety of vehicles. The matrix was offered until 2013, so you could get one as new as that.

I believe this is a pretty fair list of vehicles that have the 2AZ engine in it.

http://www.hcdmag.com/toyota-2az-fe-engine/

Just to note, you may need to verify the sensors and peripherals are the same, as I know with the 1ZZ, the knock sensor for a Celica was different than the Vibe/Matrix.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh, yeah - there was also a post on what you should repair/replace if you have an engine out of the car, regarding that prior oil leak. Frankly, if you have the engine in front of you, you could just about do a short rebuild (leaving the pistons, cylinders, etc, alone), VERY quickly. New oil pan gasket, head gasket, timing chain cover, etc. ... water pump.
JerryV

Post by JerryV »

From the reading I have done, one of the issues with this engine isn't that it leaks oil, but rather burns oil. Apparently the relief holes in the pistons behind the oil control rings get plugged up and then the oil consumption goes up dramatically.

There is a TSB with detailed instructions on replacing the pistons here:

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_ServiceB ... 030t15.pdf

I need to do some more research regarding engine removal. Looking at the space around the engine, I am guessing that I can't separate it from the transmission and pull it out the top. Maybe if it was an automatic but a clutch is going to be thicker than a flex plate so it needs more room.

Jerry
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You should be able to pull it out the top.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe