Hauling on the roof rack? 4' x 8' sheets

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
narlycharley

Hauling on the roof rack? 4' x 8' sheets

Post by narlycharley »

Anyone haul 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or drywall with their vibe? I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. Thinking that I should bolt some 2 x 4's to the rack and then strap the sheets to the 2 x 4's. Thoughts? I can't seem to find anything via google searching.
ehoff121

Re: Hauling on the roof rack? 4' x 8' sheets

Post by ehoff121 »

I think the official roof rack weight limit is around 30 lbs., so haul at your own risk...

The rails are wide enough that you probably can get away with not having cross bracing for the plywood sheets. For drywall, a few 1x3 pieces a couple inches wider than 4' should work, but know that the rack may not be as flat as the sheets, so you may want to shim the rear 1x3.

Not sure how you'd secure the bracing to the rack without making permanent holes- small clamps?

I would either use pallet wrap or lots of twine to tie the sheets to the roof.

Do you need a full 4x8 sheet or can you have the yard rip them to 2x8? That size will fit with the seats down. ;)
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I did something similar on my Outback Wagon. I had some old 50" Thule rack bars. Thule wanted something like $300 for the set of clamps to adapt to the factory roof rack. So I bolted the Thule bars to the roof rack with carriage bolts and wingnuts. In order to carry anything flimsier than 3/4" ply, I lay a few 8' 2x4s on the bars first to support the sheets.

I don't think I'd try this with the Vibe rack. It just looks flimsier, too short, and more difficult to get a good bolted connection.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

You won't have much trouble hauling around 2x4's that are less than 8' to 10' in the cabin (longer ones would need to stretch above the dash, kinda sketchy). However, each sheet of half inch 4x8' drywall is 50lbs, and half inch 4x8' plywood is 40lbs. Vibes can pull 1000lbs no problem, if you have a hitch and trailer, but I would not put that kind of weight on top of the car.

I suggest renting a truck.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'd say throw them on trailer if you have one, or haul with a truck. While you could probably put them on the roof, I'm not sure how you'd tie them down since they'll be wider/longer than the roof. The weight will also add up. I'm not entirely sure on the roof rack weight limit, but I'd think more than 3-4 sheets and you're exceeding it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
xenictime

Post by xenictime »

Have to echo others here: borrow or rent a truck. I’ve loaded many 8’ objects with everything flat but the drivers seat. I’ve hauled longer objects with the passenger front window open. Also with the rear open and bungeed. Toyota oem roof rack/ rails rated to 132 lbs. The vibe is a remarkably versatile machine with logical and ingenious tie offs and space utilization. My 2009 has California commercial plates because it’s been employed so often moving gear I’ve needed yellow zone parking since I bought it new over a decade ago. It’s not a truck. It’s not a cargo van. Try not to maim it unnecessarily.

“Treat well your horse for it bears you”
Also said with “(removed)”
tommytipover

Post by tommytipover »

I just put two eight foot 2X4's on the cross rails, use ratchet straps under the side rails.
Depending on how good of shape you are, you won't be lifting too many sheets up there.

4x8.jpg
4x8.jpg (107.95 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
tommytipover
2003 base 5spd.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice. ;) Hopefully you didn't have very far to travel and not drive at highway speeds. How did that look from a side profile view?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I hauled a queen sized box spring home on my car. tied tightly, and I drove back roads for the most part. Ropes cut into the rubber seal on the driver door - but I managed to hit 55 without losing anything.
tommytipover

Post by tommytipover »

tpollauf wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 am Nice. ;) Hopefully you didn't have very far to travel and not drive at highway speeds. How did that look from a side profile view?
Oh yeah, surface streets only. I've got 2 Home Depot within ~5 miles of my fixer-upper house. :D
tommytipover
2003 base 5spd.