New member considering a 2005 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed. Recalls? Issues?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rebar

New member considering a 2005 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed. Recalls? Issues?

Post by rebar »

Hello everyone.

I'm Mike from Iowa City, and I recently found a 2005 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed for sale. From what I'm reading, it has the same engine as the matrix and corolla so its proven.. But what I'm wondering is were there any "issues" with this car? Or any important recalls I should make sure were fixed before I buy it? Also, he has dropped his price to $2000.. Does that sound reasonable for the below Vibe? Or still a little steep for its condition?

Thanks!

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 25054.html
hogdoctor

Re: New member considering a 2005 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed. Recalls? Issues?

Post by hogdoctor »

You can find general information about that particular model here - https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

You can see if that specific vehicle has had it's recalls performed here - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Issues I remember reading here concern the 03-04 5-speed tranny. This Vibe seems low miles for being 13 years old.

Several posts on here detailing how to change to a more reliable 6-speed from a GT (with modifications).

Price is not terrible considering the body condition and lack of original wheel covers. You might try offering $1,600 and maybe get it for under $2k.

Here's a good site for pricing: https://www.nadaguides.com
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I wouldn't pay his listed price of $3000, but $2000 is more in the right ballpark. I paid a little less than that for my '05 Vibe GT summer, but its body is a little rougher than this one with about 140K miles on it. If I were you, I'd try to track down a set of the factory 16" or 17" alloys or another 5x100 wheel instead of replacing the wheel covers, but that's just my personal taste.

As for recalls and concerns, these cars are pretty rock solid. There's only been a couple of recalls to worry about on an '05. Primarily, there's the Takata airbag recall to replace the passenger airbag, which is probably true for ALL Vibes 03-10. The other is the PCM recall that effected a few years . As hogdoctor said, you can use https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls to check for any open recalls for a specific VIN.

ehoff121 mentioned the known issues with 03-04 5 speed tranny, but this is an 05 so it should have the revised design. That shouldn't be a concern, although any transmission can have issues if it wasn't properly serviced or abused. At 125K, it might be getting close to needing a new clutch, depending on how it was driven.

The only issue I've really had with both of my Vibes has been the tick from the blend door actuator when it looses a tooth. It was broken on both of my Vibes when I bought them. Try toggling the recirc button a few times with fan running. If its bad, you'll hear a tick There's a fix on the forum here for how to fix that by flipping the gear, or you can simply replace the unit for $40. The hardest part is getting to the actuator behind the glove box. The funny part is that the Matrix (while otherwise nearly 100% mechanically identical) doesn't have this issue, since Toyota used their own HVAC system instead of the GM system used in the Vibe.

Aside from those, there's not a whole lot to worry about. Its built by Toyota for GM.... so, it'll be reliable.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Mike,

Don't let the "Toyota" nameplate have you jumping for joy. These cars are far from bullet proof and Toyota's reputation has been on the slide the past 10 years due to inferior parts suppliers. I have owned both iterations of the Vibe. Was it a great car when new: yes. Is it still a good car at age 9: yes. Is it a good car at age 13: perhaps. Remember age kills cars; miles don't. Given that the car is likely a northern car which has been subjected to 13 years of snow, ice and salt, should give you some pause for concern. While $2,000-ish for the car seems like a very good deal to me, you need to be prepared to have cash on hand to fix up any hidden issues on a 13 year old car. If you are buying a second owner car, you also are taking a gamble that the first owner did the proper maintenance on the car. After all, there are plenty of people who buy new cars and run them into the ground for 6 years and do nothing other than change the oil. Not only is the second owner often left with the overdue maintenance bills, but the third owner often gets a car that won't make it to the finish line because it was abused in its younger days.
rebar

Post by rebar »

Thanks everyone.. You all pointed out some great info..

I'm going to look at this vibe tomorrow and will keep this post updated.
nca170

Post by nca170 »

Hello,
I have an '05 5 speed and just turned 340k. The clutch started slipping in first gear around 200k and I had it replaced for $700. It's been running great since! I would buy another for $2,000 if it runs like mine does, in a heart beat.
rebar

Post by rebar »

ehoff121 wrote:Welcome to genvibe!

Issues I remember reading here concern the 03-04 5-speed tranny. This Vibe seems low miles for being 13 years old.

Several posts on here detailing how to change to a more reliable 6-speed from a GT (with modifications).

Price is not terrible considering the body condition and lack of original wheel covers. You might try offering $1,600 and maybe get it for under $2k.

Here's a good site for pricing: https://www.nadaguides.com
Well, the first Vibe fell through.. But I have a 2005 GT on my radar.. Its cleaner, but has more miles..

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 45087.html

As far as nada or kbb.. I find ebays completed and sold listings to be more "real world"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You've certainly come to the right place to research Vibes! Definitely keep us updated on the Vibe search ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage