AC & Heater Problems

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MadJoe

AC & Heater Problems

Post by MadJoe »

I come back to the professionals seeking advice for my '03 Vibe. For the last couple of years the heat/AC fan is blowing air out of all vents (defrost, floor, & AC vents). Last week I successfully replaced the door actuator in hopes it might correct things. It did not help the problem but it did make that door work and the "ticking" stopped.
At this point, the repair may be beyond my level of expertise.

Any suggestions as to why the air blows out or all vents regardless of the setting. Thanks
vibrologist

Re: AC & Heater Problems

Post by vibrologist »

My guess: the door itself is stuck.
The actuator motors are not very strong. In fact they don't even have an off position (I could be wrong here, but that's how it is on the Ford models I used to own). The door hits the end of the range and the motor keeps pushing. Your actuator may not be able to overcome what ever keeps the door from moving.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There are three independent flapper doors in the HVAC system.

The fresh/recirculate is is the only one that is activated electrically, with the always on motor that so many of us have had gears strip.

The temperature blend door is cable driven mechanical. Some, especially early 03's had a problem with it not being properly adjusted and allowing more heat through than desired at the cold setting. That's an easy fix viewtopic.php?t=1004 That will not affect air direction issues, only let the temp door fully close when the dial is at the cold setting

The air direction door is cable driven mechanical. Sounds like this is the one that is giving you problems.

Page 3-2 of the 03 owners manual says the airflow should be:
Mode Knob
(Vent): This position directs the airflow though the
upper instrument panel outlets.
(Bi-Level): This position directs the airflow
through the upper instrument panel vents and toward
the floor.
(Floor): This position directs the airflow toward
the floor and through the right and left side vents. The
side vents can be shut off to allow for more air to be
directed toward the floor.
(Defog): This position directs the airflow
toward the floor, the windshield and the side windows.
The air also comes from both vents at the ends of the
instrument panel.
(Defrost): This position directs the airflow to the
windshield and side windows. The air also comes from
both vents at the ends of the instrument panel.
and I only mention that to point out that by design, air comes out of the side dash vents no matter what position the dial is set to. So if that is all you are experiencing, that's normal

One end of the cable is connected to the back of the HVAC controls. Once I tried and failed to remove the HVAC controls, I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the two cables from the back, and I may have broken part of the one of the two cable retainers. Mine still works, but it might come undone someday. Since you bought the car used, and it seems to have always had the problem, perhaps the previous owner had some work done such as trying to remove that to replace a light and whoever did it was as inept as I.

The other end of the cable is attached to the driver's side of the airbox, roughly straight up from the gas pedal. Here's a pic looking up from around the gas pedal, the yellow box shows the cable attached to the plastic arm of the door.
modecable.jpg
modecable.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
It's possible to reach up there with one hand and use the other hand to rotate the mode selector knob to verify that the moving the knob causes the plastic arm on the door to move. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the cable, either broken r disconnected. If the knob moved the arm and it has no effect on the airflow, then there's something unpleasant inside the airbox, a disassembly and repair task that I don't envy
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Thank you both for your replies.
Joatmon, I believe you are onto something concerning the picture you shared. Now I know where to look to see if the knob is moving the lever.
I will check it this weekend and report back. My hope is it something as easy as putting the cable back on.
Thanks again.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Joatmon:

Your picture helped me find the problem. The cable indeed had slipped off the door lever. All is working as it should now.
Thanks to both of you for the help.
Joe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

MadJoe wrote: The cable indeed had slipped off the door lever. All is working as it should now.
That's great news. I am quite fond of an easy fix that doesn't cost money