A/C Clutch not engaging... (cross posted in M&C)

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Vibester04

A/C Clutch not engaging... (cross posted in M&C)

Post by Vibester04 »

my A/C quit working a few months after I bought the car... figuring I had a leak, I bought a Red Tek recharge kit and a sealant can. Upon hooking it up, the low pressure side was reading almost 80psi. (It was 28 degrees C in Edmonton the other day, 10-12 the day I recharged.) Replaced relay after I probed the plugs with a testlight. I had power with the ac on and no power with it off... I thought that's what it was, but nope. The compressor clutch spins freely, and the system is accepting new refrigerant (I completely recharges the system to the recommended 45ish PSI). The clutch still will not engage. I'm thinking a low pressure switch has been tripped. What can I do to jump the switch and put 12V to the clutch? 

Hopefully this might fix my issues... would the initial high pressure mean I have a clogged line? Help! 
hogdoctor

Re: A/C Clutch not engaging... (cross posted in M&C)

Post by hogdoctor »

I would do a resistance and ground check on the compressor clutch itself, the electromag coils may be shot.