3.8L V6 Supercharged Engine Swap

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jade

3.8L V6 Supercharged Engine Swap

Post by Jade »

Has anyone else ever had the idea I'm thinkin of right now or has anything like this been done to a Vibe?..
SeattleJeremy

Re: 3.8L V6 Supercharged Engine Swap

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Hi Jade, welcome to Genvibe!
What are your goals for this swap? Drag racing? Autocross? Car meets? Just something cool, and different?
What is your budget?
Have you done an engine swap before? Are you familiar with custom fabricating metal and exhaust?
What car are you starting with? (year engine trans)

The 3.8L SC is a robust powerful motor. However, it would be a tight fit in the Vibe engine bay designed to hold Inline-4's. The 3800 is really wide (90° layout). The engine and transmission are quite heavy, like 650LBS+. For reference the 1ZZ engine and C59 5-speed weigh about 300lbs. So upgrading the suspension would be required.

A Toyota Camry motor would be easier as it is a narrower 60° layout. The 2007+ Camry motors have 268HP and 248ft-lbs.
Even easier is a 2ZZ swap. https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... 2zzgeswap/
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

If money was no object, I'd seriously love to try swapping a V6 into a Vibe. The 2GR-FE Camry motor that SeattleJeremy mentioned would be at the top of the list, but I have a good feeling it would take some massaging to fit.

Semi-related, I recall there being discussion of an LS swapped Vibe at some point, but I think they ran into an issue with the front suspension and steering. I could be making that up, but I swear I've heard it somewhere.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Well my realistic goal is for something different and unsuspecting especially since my co workers make fun of my Vibe haha.. my budget can handle anything I want to put into it but with time, I bought a 98 Buick Regal GS 3.8 SC for $1100 and its been running great with 311xxxkms on it at the moment with lots of life left but not moving forward with the plan until something gives out and thats when I plan to rebuild and mod the hell out of the engine and tanny as much as I can. I have not done a full swap before nor have I done metal fabricating or exuast work but I am a good problem solver when it comes to things like that and always have ideas of what to do, my only down fall is the diagnostic and reprogramming side although if I was unsure I would seek out professional assistance/advice. I honestly dont know of alot of sites to look at or whats credible/real to save some money being from Canada and more insights to those things would definitely help, I just dont think ill be satisfied with a souped up Toyota motor swap for my liking of power, I wanna make 600hp+ if possible with the 3.8 SC and doing the necessary work to make this dream become a reality since I have the full donor car to do so. I was thinking of LS swap at first but I dont want that much power and I was thinking there would be more complications along the way doing that and cost effectiveness of the 2 engines.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The Buick Regal is a way cooler car than the Vibe. If you want to mod something I suggest modding that. Bonus that car already has the engine you want to put 600+ HP in to.

Another point of view: You currently have two working cars. Do you have a third working car for when you have these two dismantled for weeks/months?
Have you taken a measuring tape to that Regals engine bay and compared it to the Vibe?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Jade

Post by Jade »

I can definitely agree the Buick is a nicer ride all around but in my eyes my '09 Vibe has been the longest vehicle I have actually taken care of and cared about since 2012 when it had just under 44xxxkms, its now sitting at just over 235xxxkm and I know when somethings off or how to e-brake and control its weight when I just wanna have fun on the grid roads but if I could change a few things I would having a more powerful engine and some extras to work with such as a hyrdo ebrake, coil overs and possibly an angling kit, this Vibe in the end has sentimental value being it belonged to my great uncle before he passed and I cant bring myself to let it go so this is an idea to keep it rollin as parts for the Vibe continue to go obsolete day by day.
As it stands Im not worried about vehicles haha.. 2 trucks (4×4), 2 suvs(4x4), and 4 cars (3 Vibes; 1 fwd - 2 awd) and my newst addition being the Regal so Im pretty well set!
Also yes I have taken a measuring tape and as it stands it is very possible to get that 3.8 into the Vibes engine bay with space on either side and front to back,
The biggest step would be centering it out and the only difference would be the tires sticking out past the fenders by just over an inch on each side measuring the outsides of tires to the other side on both vehicles, making some motor mounts and setting up for the extra weight would be crucial too but all in all the Vibe engine bay has more space to work with in ways than the Regal only reason I say that is because people would think it work when you look from the fire wall to the front bumper adding more length and it makes a person second guess but with a little fabrication Im sure its very possible and to think of weight and length reduction compared to the 2, just might have to reroute things like the radiator and other small things so it can obviously run and drive like a normal vehicle would which isnt the end of the world.. the Vibe could be the new sleeping Regal and be putting Regals in the dust with the same engine but in a compact hatchback!