06 Vibe Base 185.5k: new owner, what maintenance should I do?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Blue06B

06 Vibe Base 185.5k: new owner, what maintenance should I do?

Post by Blue06B »

The very first vehicle I drove and loved was a vibe, and I don't know how I forgot about them all these years! Hubby was looking for a midsize SUV and when I saw a listing for an 06 base, I had to check it out. Now it's ours, and I want to make sure we take care of it so it lasts forever!

It's sitting at 185,500 miles. Pre purchase inspection report said it's on OEM shocks/struts and the serpentine belt needs replacing. Oil change sticker is current and oil looks good. Is there anything we should replace/service? Thanks, everyone!
andrewclaus

Re: 06 Vibe Base 185.5k: new owner, what maintenance should I do?

Post by andrewclaus »

Check the spark plugs and ignition coils, unless your mechanic did that in the inspection.

AT or MT? Change fluid, since you most likely don't know its age.

Flush brake fluid if it's darker than honey.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Change PCV valve.

Have a trustworthy alignment shop evaluate the struts, shocks, and alignment.

I just bought a similar vehicle with no maintenance history and that's about what I did. Mine needed brakes mainly, I assume yours have been checked.

Enjoy your VIbe (again)!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Sounds like you made a nice catch, Blue06B!

Check the cabin air filter.
Check the engine coolant.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

andrewclaus wrote:Check the spark plugs and ignition coils, unless your mechanic did that in the inspection.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Change PCV valve.

I just bought a similar vehicle with no maintenance history and that's about what I did. Mine needed brakes mainly, I assume yours have been checked.

Enjoy your VIbe (again)!

Thanks for the details!! It's an automatic. Is there a thread on changing the transmission fluid? Shops charge about $400 for that so we'd be doing it ourselves. The fluid looked good though, great color and clarity and no bubbles that would indicate a leak.

Engine coolant was checked by the shop, I specifically requested that since the reservoir is designed the way it is and I couldn't check it myself. We're planning on doing the maintenance over the course of the next couple weeks.

I don't know if the current oil is synthetic, but I would prefer to use synthetic so I'm planning on changing it out. Thoughts on that? I checked inside the engine fill for signs of sludge since natural oil that isn't changed often or has been sitting for a while can be prone to gelling, but from what little I could see it looked okay. Can anyone make a synthetic oil recommendation for the vibe? I use Castrol high mileage for my Mazda.

Thanks, guys!!! I'm super excited in case you can't tell lol!!!
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

vibrologist wrote:Sounds like you made a nice catch, Blue06B!

Check the cabin air filter.
Check the engine coolant.
You'd be surprised by how many people don't even know there is such a thing as a cabin air filter!!! That's definitely on my list, thanks!
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Blue06B wrote:
andrewclaus wrote:Check the spark plugs and ignition coils, unless your mechanic did that in the inspection.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Change PCV valve.

Enjoy your VIbe (again)!

Thanks for the details!! It's an automatic. Is there a thread on changing the transmission fluid? Shops charge about $400 for that so we'd be doing it ourselves. The fluid looked good though, great color and clarity and no bubbles that would indicate a leak.

Engine coolant was checked by the shop, I specifically requested that since the reservoir is designed the way it is and I couldn't check it myself. We're planning on doing the maintenance over the course of the next couple weeks.

I don't know if the current oil is synthetic, but I would prefer to use synthetic so I'm planning on changing it out. Thoughts on that? I checked inside the engine fill for signs of sludge since natural oil that isn't changed often or has been sitting for a while can be prone to gelling, but from what little I could see it looked okay. Can anyone make a synthetic oil recommendation for the vibe? I use Castrol high mileage for my Mazda.

Thanks, guys!!! I'm super excited in case you can't tell lol!!!
I am not sure how much you intend to fix yourself but I have found this to be a great reference on this site.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875&p=509500&hil ... er#p509500
2003 Base Vibe
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

We do all of our own maintenance when we can, so thanks for the resource!!! :D
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If you do the AT fluid change, it's pretty easy on this car. The Vibe is the first one I've done. It has a drain plug in the pan, which minimizes the mess. An old cardboard box under your pan will catch all the drips. Be sure to get the right gasket and filter kit by counting the bolts. The job cost me less than $40.
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

andrewclaus wrote:If you do the AT fluid change, it's pretty easy on this car. The Vibe is the first one I've done. It has a drain plug in the pan, which minimizes the mess. An old cardboard box under your pan will catch all the drips. Be sure to get the right gasket and filter kit by counting the bolts. The job cost me less than $40.
Wait, gasket and filter?? Are you talking about dropping the pan for a full transmission fluid change? We were planning on doing the 40% change by removing the drain bolt, draining as much out as possible, and replacing the exact lost volume with new fluid. I read that doing this every 25k miles or is just as effective as a full change at 100k; I'm curious as to what others would recommend!
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

When I saw the filter, I was glad I dropped the pan to replace it. The filter and gasket kit cost about $15 at my local parts store. The bolts are low torque, easy access. I got about a half quart more fluid out by dropping the pan and filter. And there are magnets in the pan and it's probably a good idea to clean the sludge off those.

The filter looks like a simple stainless steel sieve, and it looks like it gets bypassed when it gets clogged. Maybe it could be effectively cleaned with solvent and a brush.

I still only got about half the fluid out, and I plan to do another drain and fill soon. I'll probably still drop the pan and at least look at the filter and magnets, because it was so easy to do.

Again, this was the first AT I've serviced in forty years of shade-tree mechanic work. It's always scared me before, but it's really simple on this car.
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

andrewclaus wrote:When I saw the filter, I was glad I dropped the pan to replace it. The filter and gasket kit cost about $15 at my local parts store. The bolts are low torque, easy access. I got about a half quart more fluid out by dropping the pan and filter. And there are magnets in the pan and it's probably a good idea to clean the sludge off those.

The filter looks like a simple stainless steel sieve, and it looks like it gets bypassed when it gets clogged. Maybe it could be effectively cleaned with solvent and a brush.

I still only got about half the fluid out, and I plan to do another drain and fill soon. I'll probably still drop the pan and at least look at the filter and magnets, because it was so easy to do.

Again, this was the first AT I've serviced in forty years of shade-tree mechanic work. It's always scared me before, but it's really simple on this car.
It seems pretty simple!!! Shade tree mechanic (removed)!!! I'll tell the hubby about it, the two of us should be able to do it without much problem. What about getting under the car? Was it difficult? Did you just put it on jackstands?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

One more thing: With your VIN number ask a GM dealer to see if all the recalls have been taken care of. It has the infamous Takata air bags, and some PCMs were recalled too.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome (back?) to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Blue06B wrote:
andrewclaus wrote:...What about getting under the car? Was it difficult? Did you just put it on jackstands?
Yep, standard precautions for working under the car. In my case, that's jackstands, wheel chocks, and even wood cribbing to back up the jackstands--belt and suspenders for me.

You don't need any more room for the AT than you do for changing the oil.
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome (back?) to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
Will do! We're in the process of tinting the windows so once we're done I'll take some!!!

Thanks for the info on AT change, andrewclaus!!