dash thumping question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerBear

dash thumping question

Post by JerBear »

I have replaced the door actuator motor already and it would appear that they sourced the new gears with an even softer cheese (Bree?) and two years later it is thumping again! GRRRR anyway what would unplugging the actuator do if I couldn't care less about recirculation as a setting? I am assuming all it would do is de-energise the actuator and allow the damper door to stay in place where ever it is and stops the thumping.

The space is very cramped and made me say unkind words the last time i replaced it, I would like to forgo that again as well as buying a crappy replacement actuator.
tpollauf

Re: dash thumping question

Post by tpollauf »

Wow ... that S U C K S :x Just curious as to which brand/model you purchased when you replaced it two years ago? I'll be doing this exact repair to a 2004 Vibe GT that I recently picked up. My experiences driving this Vibe back from Florida (1800 nice relaxing miles) was that the actuator door needs to be powered open (does not stay open by default) otherwise you start fogging up your interior. Had to"crack" open the windows several times to get fresh air in the car so I could see out the windows!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

The brand I purchased was a Dorman, Got it from RockAuto I may try the old switcharoo on the original gear to the side with good teeth?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Finally got around to changing mine out earlier Sunday. Yeah it was a B I T C H mainly for the one screw at the very top :x Here's the classical pic showing the missing teeth. All is back to normal now. Big thanks to others here on GenVibe and even a few You-Tube videos which helped clarify the process! ;)

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"