Need steering rack bushings

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jwangelin

Need steering rack bushings

Post by jwangelin »

Hi,
I realize my '06 Vibe has a limited life (251,000 miles) and I really don't want to spend any more money than I need to. For a long time there was a clicking sound as I hit bumps going down the road. It's advanced to a heavy shaking in the steering wheel at lower speeds. The people at one of the chain repair places said the rack and pinion bushings were shot. When moving the wheel from lock to lock there is a little movement in the steering rack. There doesn't seem to be any movement in the suspension joints.

Does the diagnosis make sense?
Does anyone have a source for rack and pinion bushings?

Thanks in advance,
Jon
andrewclaus

Re: Need steering rack bushings

Post by andrewclaus »

Try Toyota part no. 44205-02030. I've never heard of that failure, but the part seems to be available so it's probably happened before.

With this many miles, more bushings may be close to failure. Take a good look at the control arm bushings, too.
jolt

Re: Need steering rack bushings

Post by jolt »

Most garages would just replace the rack with a rebuilt unit, if available. It is faster and easier then taking the rack apart. That way the car is out if the service bay faster and back to the customer. Time is money but some times a person has more time then money so you have to work that one out for yourself.