Introducing the lemon vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
frostyvibegt

Introducing the lemon vibe

Post by frostyvibegt »

Hi, I'm Olyver... yes with a Y . I have a white 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base?. sadly it is considered the worst lemon gm made according to dealer ship. Its a GT 1.8L VVTL-I with a 5 speed automatic. no I'm not a liar. I easily reach speeds of 120 and maxed out at 137 due to gearing. the automatic part of the transmission does not work ironically you have to shift manually but with no clutch. the best part is that the car now has about 771000 miles on it and is still running to this day. any idea how a messed up car like this makes it to 770000 miles? :lol:

P.S. Its name is seabiscuit
SeattleJeremy

Re: Introducing the lemon vibe

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to Genvibe! Your car sound fascinating.
5-speed clutch-pedal-less automatic that requires shifting... sounds like the gear box from the third gen MR2. Do you have pictures of the shiftier assembly?
The odometer stops at 299,999, how did they come up 771,000 miles?
But why is it a lemon?

Edit: 55k miles a year ... sounds like a lot of cross country trips. That 5speed auto it's exactly known for reliability, why in the world would they put that in, especially with the torque the 2ZZ has. When the MR2 guys swap that engine in they ditch the auto for true manual.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Maybe the original post has some very wrong information posted. Pictures & more info OR maybe you don't own a Vibe after all :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

A car with that many miles is by no means a lemon. The Vibe is one of the most reliable cars that GM never built.

Its entirely possible that's the drivetrain out of an '03 Matrix XRS. There were a few made in '03 that had the auto-tragic transmission, though most had the C60 6-speed manual. *All* 03-06 Vibe GTs had the C60 from the factory, so that combo didn't come from a GT. If it has the auto-tragic, then I would probably consider doing a tranny swap to the C60.

I'm guessing the body could have 771,000 miles, but that's not that is for sure NOT the car's original drivetrain. So, its at least had one engine and trans swap. How long have you had the car? How well do you know its history?

I need to see pics of this thing....

Edit: I had to check, but the U240E auto tranny used in the '03 XRS is a 4 speed. It appears to be the only auto-tragic ever paired with the 2ZZ-GE (1.8L VVTL-i) in any car. Are you SURE that thing is a 5 speed automatic?
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

It was originally owned by my aunt who drove who lives in the middle of nowhere so she put a lot of miles on it. It has the original engine. in 2011 the car was struck by lightning on the roof and fried all the electronics so all the computers were replaced ( it was expensive) but the odometer says it has 127100, on it but its not true. I will add photos soon

also her husband liked to fix up cars so maybe he did it and didn't tell her???
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I definitely want to see pictures of that mongrel! And lots of details, please!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Frosty sent me a PM, and mentioned that the engine also revs to 7000. This lines up with my theory that the engine/transmission are from an MR2, which redlines at 7000.

Is the intake manifold plastic or aluminum?
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Yeah, I need to see pics, especially of the engine bay. Not trying to be rude, but I really don't believe most of your story.

If you have an '04 Vibe that's FWD with its original engine and an automatic transmission, then it must be a Base with the 1ZZ-FE (1.8L VVT-i) and the 4-speed A246E transmission. Apart from the AWD models, no other automatic was offered in the Vibe for '03-'08. Coincidentally, the '03-'06 AWD models were also 4-speed automatics. There were no factory available 5-speed automatics offered for '03-'08 in a Vibe.

VVTL-I (aka "lift") was only available with the 2ZZ-GE engine and C60 6-speed manual in the '03-'06 Vibe GT. The 2ZZ-GE was never offered with an automatic in an '03-'06 Vibe GT from the factory. As I said before, the Matrix XRS had the 2ZZ-GE with an automatic and that was only offered in '03. You could also get a '00-'05 Celica GTS with the 2ZZ-GE and an automatic. Not sure if it was a factory option on anything else.

137mph in a Vibe sounds like suicide. I'd only attempt that with some serious suspension mods, really good rubber... and probably a full roll cage.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Frosty sent me a PM, and mentioned that the engine also revs to 7000. This lines up with my theory that the engine/transmission are from an MR2, which redlines at 7000.

Yeah, but he just claimed the engine and trans are original? So..?

In my quick searching (using Wikipedia as my source) I also don't see a 5 speed automatic offered on the MR2? What year? Also, the only 1.8L engine I see listed is the 1ZZ-FE. For the record, a 1ZZ powered Vibe will also hit the rev limiter at around 7k, but the redline is 6400.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

runningslow wrote:Yeah, but he just claimed the engine and trans are original? So..?

In my quick searching (using Wikipedia as my source) I also don't see a 5 speed automatic offered on the MR2? What year? Also, the only 1.8L engine I see listed is the 1ZZ-FE. For the record, a 1ZZ powered Vibe will also hit the rev limiter at around 7k, but the redline is 6400.
That's why I asked about the intake manifold. The 1ZZ in the MR2 looks just like the stock base Vibe engine.
It could have the stock 1ZZ engine, with the ECU (Engine/Transmission computer) from the MR2. The ECU controls the Redline.
Forsty mentioned it has "VVTL-i" that might be just the plastic head cover from a GT/XRS.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

SeattleJeremy wrote:That's why I asked about the intake manifold. The 1ZZ in the MR2 looks just like the stock base Vibe engine.
It could have the stock 1ZZ engine, with the ECU (Engine/Transmission computer) from the MR2. The ECU controls the Redline.
Forsty mentioned it has "VVTL-i" that might be just the plastic head cover from a GT/XRS.
Perhaps, but I don't think the 2ZZ cover would fit a 1ZZ? An MR2 ECU won't be plug-n-play, so there would have been some other mods made for that that to work. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but things just don't add up to me.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Frosty sent me a PM, and mentioned that the engine also revs to 7000. This lines up with my theory that the engine/transmission are from an MR2, which redlines at 7000.

It is plastic but you can clearly see that it does not match or fit correctly. i cant add pics for some reason so facebook me @ Quentin A. Harris( fake name) and i can send then to u
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

i have a theory that the engine has been rebuilt by my uncle. my aunt said he had wrecked it before and had also made modifications to the car also. it bangs the rev meter at 7300ish i also say the transmission is a 5 speed because on the highway the engine will cruise at 3000 at 80 and if u wanna go faster it will kick up a gear about 3400ish and you don't gain much speed but when you floor it it goes up another gear and you really take off about 5000ish. also the wiring under the steering wheel has been tampered with but I'm not sure what they did. I read that the car has automatic lights but mine don't work i have to turn them on and off manually. also when you start you vibe does it sound smooth or is it fast and jumpy.
Last edited by frostyvibegt on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

SeattleJeremy wrote:
runningslow wrote:Yeah, but he just claimed the engine and trans are original? So..?

That's why I asked about the intake manifold. The 1ZZ in the MR2 looks just like the stock base Vibe engine.

i do believe it is original but am not sure and cannot ask due to my aunt and uncle died and i got the car
frostyvibegt

link

Post by frostyvibegt »

frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

my vibe actually maybe toast. today it was idling in park all warmed up at 1800 and i lost all power i couldn't even maintain 40 it took 4 tries to get it to start this morning I'm assuming its cylinder 3's sparkplug ... its been having issues for about 40000 miles
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Thanks for the link to the pictures. The plastic intake manifold, and plastic engine cover are correct for the Base Vibe.
Your description of the engine revving/speed sound like the normal 4-speed auto, but someone with an automatic would have to chime in for sure.
frostyvibegt wrote:also the wiring under the steering wheel has been tampered with but I'm not sure what they did. I read that the car has automatic lights but mine don't work i have to turn them on and off manually.
Sounds like you need to have an automotive electrical mechanic take a look. Maybe they can track down why your transmission isn't shifting itself.
frostyvibegt wrote:also when you start you vibe does it sound smooth or is it fast and jumpy.
The engine should start, and idle smoothly at about 1000 rpm. After a few moments it should settle between 650 and 750rpm (850 if AC is on).
frostyvibegt wrote:my vibe actually maybe toast. today it was idling in park all warmed up at 1800 and i lost all power i couldn't even maintain 40 it took 4 tries to get it to start this morning I'm assuming its cylinder 3's sparkplug ... its been having issues for about 40000 miles
Seabiscuit's seen some high's and low's in this thread.

This website aggregates car parts from wrecking yards all around the US and Canada http://car-part.com . There are running engines that fit your car available near you for less than $500. Any local mechanic would be able to install it for a fee.
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

its been a good car and i found out that through some digging and asking around that my uncle did replace the transmission at one point but it still doesn't explain y gm would say that stuff about my car if its not true. i was just going off what they told me and i watched some videos of people in vibes finding the top speed and it doesn't make since i could easily out do 120 and have like i said before
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Thanks for the link to the pictures. The plastic intake manifold, and plastic engine cover are correct for the Base Vibe.
Your description of the engine revving/speed sound like the normal 4-speed auto, but someone with an automatic would have to chime in for sure.
frostyvibegt wrote:also the wiring under the steering wheel has been tampered with but I'm not sure what they did. I read that the car has automatic lights but mine don't work i have to turn them on and off manually.
Sounds like you need to have an automotive electrical mechanic take a look. Maybe they can track down why your transmission isn't shifting itself.
frostyvibegt wrote:also when you start you vibe does it sound smooth or is it fast and jumpy.
The engine should start, and idle smoothly at about 1000 rpm. After a few moments it should settle between 650 and 750rpm (850 if AC is on).
frostyvibegt wrote:my vibe actually maybe toast. today it was idling in park all warmed up at 1800 and i lost all power i couldn't even maintain 40 it took 4 tries to get it to start this morning I'm assuming its cylinder 3's sparkplug ... its been having issues for about 40000 miles
Seabiscuit's seen some high's and low's in this thread.

This website aggregates car parts from wrecking yards all around the US and Canada http://car-part.com . There are running engines that fit your car available near you for less than $500. Any local mechanic would be able to install it for a fee.

i forgot to mention that i bought that engine cover it did not come with the car. i just didnt like it being exposed
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Is it throwing any codes? Do you have code reader? If not, you can usually get them pulled at any auto parts store for free. Write them down and report back, so we can better help you diagnose what's happening. I'm guessing there are at least trouble codes for the transmission.
frostyvibegt wrote:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ecb9f3ad1b

Here is a link to pics of my car
Thanks for the pics. Based on these, what you have is clearly a Base model automatic. That's clearly the 1ZZ-FE plastic intake manifold. While its possible the transmission has been replaced, quite likely in fact with the extremely high miles you claim, I would expect it was replaced with a similar unit and not something more exotic like the one from a 1ZZ MR2.

Report back with codes, or visit a mechanic, and we'll see if we can get your issues straightened out.

To clarify: are they calling your car a lemon or are they making a general statement and calling ALL Vibes lemons? Because if they say ALL, then they're full of crap. :roll:

I don't know why anyone who has ever been exposed to a Vibe would say its a lemon. It has a Toyota drivetrain with a proven track record. It was built at NUMMI, a joint venture facility where (generally speaking) Toyota built cars while GM watched and learned. These cars are consistently hitting 300,000 miles and beyond with just regular maintenance. I've said it before, its the most reliable car that GM never built. To be honest, I believe that some people out there would have a personal bias against the Vibe for being a Toyota in disguise. Its not a real GM car... :lol:
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Its not a real GM car...
That's right. It is a real gem of a car.
While its possible the transmission has been replaced.
Somewhere on this transmission are a model number and a serial number. With those we can find out what is in there.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

vibrologist wrote:That's right. It is a real gem of a car.
Agreed.
frostyvibegt wrote:I read that the car has automatic lights but mine don't work i have to turn them on and off manually.
I missed that you posted this info. Disabling the automatic and daytime running lights is a relatively common mod around here. Wouldn't surprise me at if that was done.
frostyvibegt wrote:i have a theory that the engine has been rebuilt by my uncle. my aunt said he had wrecked it before and had also made modifications to the car also. it bangs the rev meter at 7300ish i also say the transmission is a 5 speed because on the highway the engine will cruise at 3000 at 80 and if u wanna go faster it will kick up a gear about 3400ish and you don't gain much speed but when you floor it it goes up another gear and you really take off about 5000ish. also the wiring under the steering wheel has been tampered with but I'm not sure what they did. also when you start you vibe does it sound smooth or is it fast and jumpy.
Frosty, what you're describing sounds a lot like what I experienced in my old '06 Base. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall it would cruise at 75mph at 3000 rpm. 80 was little higher, maybe 3200. Hitting the gas would cause it to downshift and rev higher. Heck, keeping the cruise control on and hitting the tiniest grade would cause the thing to downshift. Quite annoying on long roadtrips.
vibrologist wrote:Somewhere on this transmission are a model number and a serial number. With those we can find out what is in there.
I second this. Let's find out what this thing is running.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Necropostphilia…. Ahhhh this guy… He was/is an absolute troll. This was simply a base auto Vibe. The car did not have that many miles on it at all. I wouldn’t believe a single word he ever says (though he hasn’t been on here in over a year). He is still on the FB page, and occasionally posts.

All in all, he wasted everyone’s time on here. :evil:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

I will say he’s a pretty obvious troll but he at least tells a good fake story with it :lol: anyone that names a car sea-biscuit surely cannot be serious.
How cool it would be though if there really was a 770k mi vibe with a MR2 drivetrain swap roaming around somewhere.
2006 Pontiac Vibe - Sun & Sound (4/28/06)
2007 Chevy Silverado 6.0 - LTZ & Z71 (6/12/07)
2017 Chevy Equinox AWD 3.6 - LTZ