New member. 09 GT Manual Dark Gray

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Misanthrope

New member. 09 GT Manual Dark Gray

Post by Misanthrope »

Hello members. Just bought an 09 GT Manual in I guess it's Slate gray?
48k miles. Unfortunately I got it at night and it's a little less than perfect but I've resolved most of the minor issues. I probably paid about 1k too much, but take full responsibility for it as it was a used car, and used car dealers are mostly snakes lol. It's a Vibe so mechanically I'll be fine.
Bought it for work mostly and it does that admirably. I used to use my 05 Xterra, but she's getting up there in miles and didn't get the best mileage. Car is fully optioned and I am enjoying driving it. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures and resize them. I don't plan to do too many mods as my 94 supercharged Mustang GT has claimed too many body parts and I don't have the coin for two modded cars lol. But, the vibe doesn't really need much to keep me happy. The forum has already provided very useful information and I'm glad it exists. :)
I have an old Facebook profile and I'll use that to join the Facebook group.
Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'll post up pics as soon as I can figure out how lol.
Any typos are a tribute to 52 year old fingers, and Samsung keyboard's horrid autocorrect... :lol:
tpollauf

Re: New member. 09 GT Manual Dark Gray

Post by tpollauf »

Misanthrope wrote: I have an old Facebook profile and I'll use that to join the Facebook group.
Welcome to GenVibe :D Don't get too involved over there in the Facebook world, you'll get more resources and input here at GenVibe instead. Other than color, you have the identical Vibe as mine (red one) and love it. Without embarrassing yourself too bad ... just what did you pay for this Vibe? It too is a relatively low mileage Vibe (mine has 26k miles on it) for being some 8-9 years old and probably fetched a higher price for that reason.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

I paid 8500 plus some tax(unavoidable) and dealer fees(which I would've negotiated down). I missed a few things like the center splash guard being heavily damaged and held in place with rusty bolts ant literally bailing wire. Right wheel well splash guard chewed up with a hole exposing the washer bottle and it's wires. Both fender liners missing quite a few plastic pieces that hold them in place. Dealer was clever and lightly spray painted road rash on two wheels to conceal it. Moon roof frame is extensively rusted along the front lip. Temporarily scrapped it out, painted a with rustoleum and sealed with LPS3 until I replace it. Not leaking or anything so I'm good.

I've resolved the splash guard issues by replacing them and every missing plastic fastener. Replace the rusty bolts with stainless ones and washers. Now the bumper doest flex at all. Stupid salesman said "that's just cosmetic damage", but I still seen too many people on the road with plastics hanging down and smoking as they speed down the road so... Moonroof panel ordered and it's way, 297 shipped. Dealer said they'd install " if their tech knows how" :lol: , but if I can find detailed procedures I'll just do it myself as I'm not impressed with his :lol: "work". I maintain my own vehicles as I've been burned before.

Didn't pay more than book, so I'll live with my mistake. Like I said it's my fault lol. I needed a car now, liked the Matrix/Vibe for years, and went at night :roll: so I missed a few things. It'll be fine I think so no worries.

Anyway enough with that. Moving on and enjoying the car. A bit underpowered as I'm used to torque, but it is so practical and does exactly what I need that I do think care about that. My Mustang is the adrenaline fix.

Anyone know what's involved in swapping Moonroof glass? My Haynes manual just got to my house, but I'm in North Carolina so I can't look and see if they even cover that.
Thanks for the welcome BTW. Love what all of you have done with them and have to resist going nuts with little mods and such. My Mustang took too much for me to do anything with the Vibe right now. My 6.0 yes, 6.0 forged Dart shortblock was 5k lol.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saVM0NlBmmc
I suggest to look for more Toyota and Lexus sun roof/moon roof videos. They should all be very similar.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

vibrologist wrote:This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saVM0NlBmmc
I suggest to look for more Toyota and Lexus sun roof/moon roof videos. They should all be very similar.

That's a great video on how to "clean" the mechanism.

This is more like what I was looking for. I'll have to verify if applies to our cars, but it looks like it actually might. If it does, I'll post the link in the thread about rusty roof frame.

https://youtu.be/r6oagCg5ZcE

Thanks again though. Seriously. :^)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Great to have another 2nd gen (2009-2010) GT owner join the ranks!

The sunroof glass is super easy to replace. There's 4 torx screws (1 in each corner). Simply remove them and push the glass up and out. I would highly recommend removing the rubber seal on the new glass and painting the metal frame underneath with some Rust-Oleum. Use a little silicone to help get the rubber seal re-installed. Unfortunately this is a common issue with 09-10 Vibe sunroofs. Let me know if you have any other questions or anything ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Misanthrope wrote:
vibrologist wrote:This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saVM0NlBmmc

That's a great video on how to "clean" the mechanism.

This is more like what I was looking for. I'll have to verify if applies to our cars, but it looks like it actually might. If it does, I'll post the link in the thread about rusty roof frame.

https://youtu.be/r6oagCg5ZcE

Thanks again though. Seriously. :^)
I am quite sure it applies. Only it's easier because the screws are not covered as they are in the Avalon.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! Great to have another 2nd gen (2009-2010) GT owner join the ranks!

The sunroof glass is super easy to replace. There's 4 torx screws (1 in each corner). Simply remove them and push the glass up and out. I would highly recommend removing the rubber seal on the new glass and painting the metal frame underneath with some Rust-Oleum. Use a little silicone to help get the rubber seal re-installed. Unfortunately this is a common issue with 09-10 Vibe sunroofs. Let me know if you have any other questions or anything ;).
You are correct on all points.

I already planned to paint the frame on the new glass.

The video I linked actually applies to our cars as well. Thanks for confirming.

:)
Last edited by Misanthrope on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

"I am quite sure it applies. Only it's easier because the screws are not covered as they are in the Avalon."

The link you posted led me to the one I posted lol.

Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, my car has the rubber flex covers. As soon as I saw the video figured that it would probably be the same on my car.

4 torx screws at each corner. Wow.
Gawd bless Toyota. ..

Thanks again for the awesome advice!

Both of you!!
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

2017-12-23 18.23.55.jpg
2017-12-23 18.23.55.jpg (121.3 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

I'll post up more.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Don't be too upset about the price- after 5 years, the difference will average out to pennies a day...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

ehoff121 wrote:Welcome to genvibe!

Don't be too upset about the price- after 5 years, the difference will average out to pennies a day...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After reading the about the longevity of these cars, I'm already there.

Thanks gents.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

tpollauf wrote:
Misanthrope wrote: I have an old Facebook profile and I'll use that to join the Facebook group.
Welcome to GenVibe :D Don't get too involved over there in the Facebook world, you'll get more resources and input here at GenVibe instead. Other than color, you have the identical Vibe as mine (red one) and love it. Without embarrassing yourself too bad ... just what did you pay for this Vibe? It too is a relatively low mileage Vibe (mine has 26k miles on it) for being some 8-9 years old and probably fetched a higher price for that reason.
Most of the good information is still here on the forum, but alot of it is also broken. Searching older threads will net you broken links from before the forum software overhaul. Even relatively new posts often suffer from the Photobucket problem, although, there are workarounds for that (or so I'm told ;) )

The younger crowd certainly appears to prefer the Facebook group, but tpollauf is right, there's still plenty of good information to be had here.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

This sight has already helped tremendously. Facebook, meh... :)