Tpm or tmps sensor issue

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chevman-67

Tpm or tmps sensor issue

Post by chevman-67 »

Hey guys bought an 09 vibe and tire pressure sensor light is on. Took it to gm they said they could not communicate with module. I have no clue what they are talking about but have decided that I would try to replace all 4 sensors before paying $100.00 an hour to have them dig into my wiring ect to try and diagnose what's going on. I figure possible battery failure as it is an 09. Anyone ever had an issue with the module before.? I've never seen a post on this issue before. Thx for any help as gm wasn't.
Just to many cars and trucks!(1991 chev 4x4)(2001 ford mustang)(1967 chev shortbox stepside)(2003 pontiac vibe)(1990 chev 1/2 ton)(+ others,where does it end?) GM's always my favorite.
MacGyver

Re: Tpm or tmps sensor issue

Post by MacGyver »

Find a reputable tire shop with a TPMS scan tool to see if any of the TPMS sensors have a dead battery. If they are factory sensors, plus being 8+ years old, they're probably dead.

Connect a OBD reader to the vehicle - are there any codes? Never heard of a dead TPMS module before, but anything is possible.

After renting a new car with precise PSI readings in the dash for all four tires, I don't see much value in the Vibe's TPMS. Especially since I swap winter tires twice a year, and reprogramming sensors needs shop time or an expensive single purpose tool. So, I strategically placed a small piece of black electrical tape and it obscures the annoying yellow light from view. It even fooled my mechanic!
2009 Vibe Base
jimdespres

Post by jimdespres »

Most probably a bad sensor. I had one go out and turn on the light one year after I bought my car new. I like the sensors as they will detect a two or three lb. difference in the bad tire from the rest of them. May not seem like a big deal but many of us have a tendency not to check tire pressures until one is notably deficient. Can make a big difference in gas mileage on extended trips.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

If you have one in your area, go to Discount Tire. They will handle it. I took my Elantra Touring to them after 3 different places could not get my TPMS light to turn off. I lived with it for 6 years. One day when I was getting tires, the local manager at DT promised that he could get it solved. I told him he was wasting his time but that he could knock himself out if he wanted to try. He did it. The light actually took half a day to recalibrate and go out after he put on new sensors and programmed them. Now our car is good to go for our next cross country move.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage