Airbags and Scanner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rhino1

Airbags and Scanner

Post by rhino1 »

---Haven't seen this question asked anywhere before.

Are there certain airbag problems that are not identified by an SRS scanner?

For example, would clockspring, recalibration, occupancy sensor, and unplugged connector issues all be detected by the scanner?

I'm trying to figure out what might be my problem (airbag-off light stays on), if no codes are being thrown.

Thanks.
MacGyver

Re: Airbags and Scanner

Post by MacGyver »

If the airbag light is on in the instrument cluster, there has to be a numeric fault code. You can short out two pins on the OBD connector to reveal the code by flashing the airbag light in a pattern. I have an airbag light on in my 09 and want to try the technique in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Htvw4KLrc

If only the passenger airbag off light is lit when it shouldn't be, it's almost always the passenger seat occupancy sensor. Check the connections under the seat before replacing the sensor.
2009 Vibe Base
rhino1

Re: Airbags and Scanner

Post by rhino1 »

thanks for reply.

just passenger airbag off light.

everything seems fine underneath, but it's a little hard to see.

if replacement sensor doesn't fix problem, do i want to remove seat and check wiring more closely? does a replacement sensor require recalibration of seat? does one of the sensor connectors plug in behind the radio---do i need to take a look at that too, or just test for power? would i need to tear apart the seat, if the wiring seems fine?