New Vibe Owner Questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chri3809

New Vibe Owner Questions

Post by chri3809 »

Hello from Michigan's UP,

I have had my red 2009 2.4L Vibe AWD (automatic) for a couple weeks now. Bought it with 95k on the odometer. Love the versatility and it's fun to drive. However, there are a couple minor concerns I have.

1. Is it normal for the engine to be around 3200 rpm going 80 mph on the freeway?
2. Is it common for slight vibration when around the 65+ mph range? What causes this?
3. Are the roof racks movable/adjustable? If so, how do I adjust their location?
4. Anybody have an opinion on the best all-season tires? The UP gets quite a bit of snow.

Thanks!
MacGyver

Re: New Vibe Owner Questions

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to GenVibe!

1. Sounds right for the 1.8L, but not sure about the 2.4L
2. Not normal on any vehicle. Have a mechanic check it out. Start with checking tires for abnormal wear, rebalancing wheels, alignment, check suspension components, bent axles.
3. No
4. I run winter tires. You should, too.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. 3200 rpm at 80mph seems way too high ... BUT I can only compare the same engine, year, and a 5-speed manual vs the 5-speed automatic (the two vibes in my signature) at 60mph the manual spins out at around 2650 rpm whereas the automatic hits 2200 if I recall. The automatic definitely is 300 or so rpm less than theauto at highway speeds in final gear. Do some math to calculate 80mph numbers. It is possible that the automatic tranny for AWD is totally geared differently and maybe those figures you are seeing are correct :?

Tires ... Definitely get a designated set of winter tires, especially from where you're located.

Post pics when you get a chance ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"