New member, will be getting an 09 Vibe for "free"

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
OverRevved

New member, will be getting an 09 Vibe for "free"

Post by OverRevved »

Hey everyone.
I have been a fan of the Vibe since they were new. However, I haven't come across one that was in my price range or, at the time I was looking I was in need of a different vehicle at the time. I finally ran across one that fits both situations. My buddy owns a car service shop/used car dealer and I can get it for some labor trading.
I originally always wanted a Vibe GT and was surprised to see that this Vibe, which is a base model (steel wheels and hubcaps :( ), was a 5 speed with the 2.4L engine! After some research I found out that the "GT engine" was an option on the base model, so it's not all bad!
I am sure I won't leave it alone (stock) for long though since I never can do that with any cars I own. I have had plenty of crazily modified cars/trucks.
My other 2 vehicles are a 89 Toyota Cressida which will be receiving a LSx V8 swap this coming spring and an 07 KIA Sorento SUV that already has an LSx swap (6.0L iron LS with a 6 speed 6L90e trans.)

Well, looking forward to finding more information on this site.

Thanks!
MacGyver

Re: New member, will be getting an 09 Vibe for "free"

Post by MacGyver »

Congrats on your new Vibe. Oh, you like to mod? You've come to the right place! :D
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. you're my kind of guy/gal. One who visions CRAZY mods then has the tooling and resources to actually make it happen. Just curious if you documented the other vehicle mods at a different forum site? I'd like to see the progress. Keep us informed of all mods done to your FREE Vibe ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
OverRevved

Post by OverRevved »

MacGyver wrote:Congrats on your new Vibe. Oh, you like to mod? You've come to the right place! :D
Awesome! Should be some good reading. I honestly am not sure about the power potential of the 2.4L or what the most common mods are. I'm sure I will end up smacking a snail on it because boost is always the best route haha!

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe. you're my kind of guy/gal. One who visions CRAZY mods then has the tooling and resources to actually make it happen. Just curious if you documented the other vehicle mods at a different forum site? I'd like to see the progress. Keep us informed of all mods done to your FREE Vibe ;)
Guy here, I have yet to meet any women "legitimately that into cars". We can all wish tho... Haha

Sure have. I started my build thread here...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions- ... ortec.html

However I found it much easier to use Facebook because image sites aren't as friendly when it comes to sharing on forums like they used to back in the day. So my Facebook page is here...
www.facebook.com/LSxSorento

Your from Ohio?? (Noticed the Avatar) where abouts in Ohio. I'm in NE Ohio about 45 minutes east of Cleveland on the lake.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Congrats on the new Vibe.

As you have noted on the second gen Vibes, the "GT" package was little more than an appearance package. I think all you need to do is swap bumpers and wheels, and add the hatch spoiler. Its the first gen that the GT package meant something from a performance perspective, since that was the only way to get the 2ZZ engine and 6-speed C60 transmission.

For the 2.4L, you may be able to find some resources for performance mods if you look to the Camry and Scion tC communities.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! The only major difference between a 09-10 2.4L Base and GT is that the GT has Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). Definitely start a Garage thread for your "new" Vibe to document any mods you do.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage