Should I buy this vibe? Anything to be worried about? CarFax link in post

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
aholeinthewor1d

Should I buy this vibe? Anything to be worried about? CarFax link in post

Post by aholeinthewor1d »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1THeqF5 ... p=drivesdk

My budget is only around $3,500. I went to look at this Vibe at a dealer by my house the other day and need some advice. The car itself is in good shape. Only issues are little things inside that I'm picky about (scratches on some door panels, bulb out behind heat control, etc). Overall it seems like a great car and the more I read about them the better they sound.

First time really looking at a CarFax and here is what I gathered unless I've missed something. The original owner seems to have taken good care of it. Routine maintenance along with other needed repairs all at local dealerships in this area. They eventually traded it in to a dealer and then a second person bought it March of this year. They quickly stopped making payments and it was repossessed and sound at an auction which is where the dealer by me bought it from. Also the dealer pointed out right away the mileage issue on the carfax. He said it was just a clerical error and someone put 137,053 instead of 132,053 (7 instead of a 2).

The car was listed at $4,200 and the first time I looked at it I quickly said I wanted to be at $3,500 out of the door and they agreed. That is with tax, tags, and a 3 month warranty. Is this just a good find or is there something I should be worried about here? I've looked everywhere within 3 hours of me and it's on the cheaper side for sure compared to other comparable cars. Thanks!!
andrewclaus

Re: Should I buy this vibe? Anything to be worried about? CarFax link in post

Post by andrewclaus »

Check KBB.com for your area.

That would be a good deal for me. I just bought an '07 with 149K miles in fair condition (some dents, needed a new mirror) for $3300. The private seller priced it right at KBB's value. It was the most reasonable sale in my area at the time, and well within my budget for a historically reliable, economical car in the body style and size I wanted.

A fast scan of the Carfax doesn't show transmission service, coolant changes, or brake fluid flushing. These could lead to problems in the long term, and should be performed right away. (That's all just over $100 if you DIY.)

Cars this age will always need some tinkering and sometimes more. There are instructions and videos available showing how to pull the dash panel for the heater control. There's a great resource on this site for typical, often minor maintenance problems. When you buy an old car, you buy a list.
aholeinthewor1d

Going by KBB it's a very good price from dealer and even private party. https://www.kbb.com/pontiac/vibe/2008/s ... ition=good

Also I've searched every website to find them within 100 miles and besides a few other this is a very good price. Since tax and everything as well as a 3 month warranty is included in that I'm actually paying somewhere around $3200? I understand they could have just gotten it from the auction cheap since it was repossessed but it's still odd that it's such a good price.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

The 2008 model/production year was a short one due to the early introduction of the newly designed 2009 models. That said it had all the bugs worked out of it since it's introduction in early 2002 and should be one of the most reliable years out there. I say take a chance and get it :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

The 2008 model/production year was a short one due to the early introduction of the newly designed 2009 models. That said it had all the bugs worked out of it since it's introduction in early 2002 and should be one of the most reliable years out there. I say take a chance and get it :D

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

....what T said......twice :lol:
aholeinthewor1d

tpollauf wrote:The 2008 model/production year was a short one due to the early introduction of the newly designed 2009 models. That said it had all the bugs worked out of it since it's introduction in early 2002 and should be one of the most reliable years out there. I say take a chance and get it :D
Thanks for the reply! So I noticed on CarGurus the report by AutoCheck said it was a fleet vehicle. I just bought the full AutoCheck and sure enough it says fleet. I don't understand how that's possible when the Carfax pretty much shows everything. Owner 1 then owner 2?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

None of the reporting services are perfect. I would not worry if it was a fleet vehicle or a privately owned vehicle if the service sequence was near complete. Even half a year of neglect should be no problem, in particular if that neglect occurred recently. Neglect in the early period is more worrisome.
I would still go with one of T's two posts. I let you pick which one. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Based on some other posts from you that I'm seeing ... You bought the Vibe !!!! Congrats ;)

aholeinthewor1d

tpollauf wrote:Based on some other posts from you that I'm seeing ... You bought the Vibe !!!! Congrats ;)
Nope not yet! To be honest I'm still a little worried about it. Just doesn't make sense how cheap I can get it dor. $3,300 after tax, title, fees, and 3 month warranty.. I haven't found anything close to that and I've looked hundreds of places in the past 3 days online. My only hope is because he got it from an auction for cheap. . Really worried for some reason
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Have a pre-purchase inspection done by an independent mechanic. It will be about $100.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
salinity

Post by salinity »

aholeinthewor1d wrote:
tpollauf wrote:Based on some other posts from you that I'm seeing ... You bought the Vibe !!!! Congrats ;)
Nope not yet! To be honest I'm still a little worried about it. Just doesn't make sense how cheap I can get it dor. $3,300 after tax, title, fees, and 3 month warranty.. I haven't found anything close to that...
For what it’s worth, I picked up an 07 with 83k for $3400. It has some front end corrosion issues I’ll probably need to work thru at some point due to harsh coastal New England winters (ball joints, etc), and some other small things, but otherwise seems to be a decent little car.

I agree if at all possible you should get an independent pre-purchase inspection if you’re not comfortable assessing it yourself. I assume you test drove it? What did you think? Any worrisome noises, etc?

With the 3 month warranty, you at least have some piece of mind - and you could get it more thoroughly checked out by a trusted mechanic during the 3-month period.
---
2007 Base