slightly higher idle RPM with front defrost?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
salinity

slightly higher idle RPM with front defrost?

Post by salinity »

I noticed something over the past couple days - if I'm idling with the fan on in either front defrost or front defrost/floor selected I idle slightly higher (based on RPMs) than if I select vent or vent/floor. Does this make any sense to anyone? I assumed it was just a blend door that changes with the vent selection. I noticed this because I get an audible "chirp" at 800 RPM, but not 850-900 and the little uptick with the front defrost selected makes that difference.
---
2007 Base
andrewclaus

Re: slightly higher idle RPM with front defrost?

Post by andrewclaus »

Front defrost always turns on the A/C, which often requires a higher idle speed for the extra compressor load.
salinity

Post by salinity »

andrewclaus wrote:Front defrost always turns on the A/C, which often requires a higher idle speed for the extra compressor load.
Interesting - thanks for that info. My Cherokee doesn't have AC, so I've apparently been out of the loop for the last 12 years as far as the apparently common AC-assisted front defrost. I did notice the extra load (headlights dim slightly, etc) when turning the front defrost on last night.
---
2007 Base
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Yep, this is totally normal.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT