Stupid heat/HVAC question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mbz321

Stupid heat/HVAC question

Post by mbz321 »

So I'm not sure if this is normal, or my blend door is off. But I notice a lot of hot air comes out of my 'front' dashboard vents, even if the heat is turned off or set to blow out the floor only (which is does).
Anyone?
petervivian

Re: Stupid heat/HVAC question

Post by petervivian »

The same here. Have to shut off the vents.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If it is the outer vents on the driver and passenger side, that's perfectly normal. They will always blow air regardless of the blend door position. That's for the 1st gen, not sure if you have a 2nd gen and if they behave the same way.

If any of the inner vents have air coming out when in floor or defrost, then that would be a blend door issue.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If you're getting heat all the time, it sounds like a temperature blend door problem. It looks like it's cable-controlled. I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46046&hilit=temperature+blend+door

My Gen 1 does the same as mentioned above, the face vent control only affects the middle two vents.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

mbz321 wrote:even if the heat is turned off
Assuming you mean the fan motor is off, but the temperature dial is still on hot.

If the vent button (Max A/C) on the top of the dash is not pushed in (vent door closed), you will get air coming into the vehicle as long as you are moving fast enough to force air into the HVAC intake. When the temp dial is set to hot, the outside air will be warmed up.

If you set the temp dial to cold and are still getting hot air, it is either hot outside or you have a blend door issue. :)
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum