Looking into getting a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
cjster

Looking into getting a Vibe

Post by cjster »

Hey all!

I'm looking to get into the car community, and I've done a ton of thinking, research, and questioning, and I believe I know what I want, a manual Vibe.
My family bought one new off the lot in 2007 and it gave us no issues up until 2011. I cant really blame the car for being totaled, because it was rear-ended by a Lincoln Navigator, yet held up exceptionally well considering the factors.

My questions about the Vibe are, what year would you all suggest? I'm not too keen on the second generation, I prefer the styling on the first gen.
Are there many differences between each first gen model year?
Was it even possible to get an AWD manual? From what I've seen, they didn't.

Thanks!
vibrologist

Re: Looking into getting a Vibe

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the forum, cjster!
You may want to read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40003
so far only the 5 speed manual transmission has been found to be weak. Avoid it or plan on swapping a 6 speed in.

Where are you located? The folks here are very helpful and somebody could be your neighbor.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

In Vibe's the AWD system was only available combined with 4-speed automatic.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
salinity

Post by salinity »

Welcome. Just picked up an 07 (base auto) with 84k myself a couple weeks ago and so far so good. Its got some quirks I’m working through and some things to take care of, but nothing show stopping. I get a good feeling in this car - it took basically no time to get used to driving, sight lines (a biggie for my wife) are good and the cargo space (a big one for me) is awesome. I’ll be racking her out with some used Yakima Racks I picked up this weekend (one bar on the rails, one with towers more forward).

Definitely give the above referenced thread a read and check out similar info in Matrix forums. Read up on the coolant info too (Vibe owners manual is WRONG).

I learned everything I know about car maintenance & repair from owning a 95 RWD Cherokee and getting tons of advice through a couple of very active forums. So far there’s been some helpful advice & info on here both past (searching) and present (posting). Hopefully the old guard and us new owners can collectively continue to pass along the same helpful stuff.

Kumbaya vibers!
---
2007 Base
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

vibrologist wrote:so far only the 5 speed manual transmission has been found to be weak. Avoid it or plan on swapping a 6 speed in.
Who said the 5 speed was weak? I've had mine for 158K miles and it has held up just fine. Maybe if you don't change the fluid it will go bad.

2005-2008 years have throttle by wire which allows you to easily plug in a cruise control switch! Earlier had cable throttle if you are into "feeling" your cable.
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Using completely non-scientific methods of my impression of genvibe posts about transmission problems, at least the 03, and perhaps 04 5 speeds have experienced a higher amount of transmission failures, compared to others. Early GTs tended to have a higher incidence of premature clutch failures, while the GTs 6 speed manual transmissions themselves seem to be quite reliable. There have been few auto tranny failures, more than 6 speed manuals, but nowhere near the number of 5 speeds. Haven't paid as much attention but I think the AWDs transfer case and rear differential were potential maintenance issues, and given the limited AWD production, parts availability might be an issue now that the car is 7 or 8 years out of production

manual vs automatic is a personal choice, I started with manual because it got better mpgs than the auto, but the gas I saved would have cost a lot less than the tranny and clutch replacements. If you go for the manual, do it for the fun, not the economy. I've got an 03 auto now.

My only other advice is that if you want power windows, power locks and cruise control. get one that already has those options, do not think you will add them yourself later
cjster

Post by cjster »

Thank you to all who replied!

I'll definitely keep all suggestions in mind when buying my car.
cjster

Post by cjster »

vibrologist wrote:Where are you located? The folks here are very helpful and somebody could be your neighbor.
I'm located in Michigan!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I'm located in Michigan!
I think there are quite a few people from Michigan on the FB group: GenVibe - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Genvibe
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

cjster wrote:
I'm located in Michigan!
Update profile. What part of Mich? Just above me... or the UP?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

My 06 5-speed is rock solid :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! This is definitely THE place to research anything and everything Vibe-related! Definitely keep us posted on the search ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage