How many miles before your fuel pump failed

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tnkayaker

How many miles before your fuel pump failed

Post by tnkayaker »

I have a 2003 Vibe coming up close to the 300K mile mark and still has the original fuel pump. I was considering preemptively replacing it, but I hate to pull a good working part (especially when it might still outlast a replacement part)

So I thought I'd take an informal survey: How many miles did you have on your car when the pump went out?

Or if it's still going, how many miles have you gone without replacing it?
jayoldschool

Re: How many miles before your fuel pump failed

Post by jayoldschool »

Option 3? Buy a pump, keep it in the glove compartment? Change on the side of the road if/when the OEM one dies? You don't have to drop the tank like on older cars.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

As of the last fill-up my car has 235k miles on the odometer, and the engine has consumed 7700 gallons of 87 octane fuel. No failures insight.

The fuel pump is a repair item. No need to touch it unless it's broken.

Put that money in to changing the various hydraulic fluids instead (power steering, brake fluid, transmission... did I miss any?).
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced mine at 215K. Its a 2003 model.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Mine failed at 215K. Its a 2003 model and I have owned since 38K. I wouldnt replace it until it fails. Just make sure you buy the OEM unit. I figured the OEM lasted over 200K this would be the last pump I will replace on this car :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
tnkayaker

Post by tnkayaker »

I had considered 'Option 3', keeping a pump in the car and replacing it when it fails. I just know it's going to fail at the worst possible time though. Still should probably pull up the back seats and see what tools I need to carry if I do go ahead and get a spare.

I've had a Cavalier pump fail at 283K and a Jeep pump fail at 328K. (Yes, I keep my cars going a lot longer than most. Still have the Jeep with 403K on it) I feel like the Vibe pump is due to go anytime, but since I've found that the longevity of other parts on this car has been better than others I've had I thought maybe I might expect more out of the pump.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

traded my first vibe with 288K and original fuel pump for another that now has 225K and original fuel pump.

Your fuel pump my fail, as may anything else, but based only on what issues people report here, statistically you are much more likely to get stranded by a failed starter than a failed fuel pump. And starter failures aren't common enough to warrant carrying a spare.

Still a starter failure will leave you stuck where you are parked, a fuel pump failure can stop you on the highway or in heavy traffic somewhere, so if it makes you feel better, buy $100 worth of peace of mind and pick up a spare pump
LobsterMan

Post by LobsterMan »

My 2003 GT has 203k miles and I have never replaced the fuel pump. I don't think they are prone to failure like in the old days. I mean for those of us who were around in the old days.