Need someone from Chicago to check a Vibe with a 5/sped

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
455SD

Need someone from Chicago to check a Vibe with a 5/sped

Post by 455SD »

Hi,
My 2003 Envy Vibe has given me 255,000 of the 322,000 it has on it, but it's time to replace it.

There is a 2004 Vibe that I am really intended rested in, near Chicago O'Hare.
Is there anyone who would be willing, and knowledgeable, to look this over and test drive for me?
I am very picky and need solid feedback. I live ~ 11 hrs away, so my purchase would be via internet, and have it delivered.
Anybody willing to check this out for me? Ideally the inspection would take place this weekend.
Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by 455SD on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnvyGreen03
Caretaker

Re: Need someone from Chicago to check a Vibe with a 5/sped

Post by Caretaker »

I wish you luck in your search. I'll offer up these thoughts and then shut up. My background is: owned two Vibes; both generations. I also spent several hours taking trains and driving long distances to find my Honda Fit. Some thoughts:

1. having owned a Vibe since the (nearly) very first AWD Vibe rolled off the plant at NUMMI, I would recommend that you don't box yourself in to just one car/model. I'm not sure what your criteria is (ie: stick shift, paint color, hauling, urban driving, etc), but there are lots of Vibes/Matrix/Fits out there for sale which I have to believe, would meet your needs.
2. If you have the time, I think taking short "vacations" to southern towns to find a car that is not eaten apart by road salt would be a better choice to ensure the longevity of any used car.
3. having a car shipped isn't cheap, nor is paying someone a finder's fee and having the car driven by your hired hand to a local shop for inspection prior to purchase. It may be money better spent by you taking a few (one way) trips to find your perfect car, knowing you will be driving a car home to WV having poured over it with your own eyes and hands.

I applaud you and all those who venture way beyond their home territory to find the right car. I think you are doing the smart thing, but I just want to make sure that you understand that there are other better vehicles out there than the Vibe, much newer in years and with high (highway only miles) that will meet your needs for a reasonable price.
455SD

Post by 455SD »

Thanks for your input, Caretaker, I do appreciate it. My interest for this particular Vibe, stems from the fact that it is a 5spd, has all the options I currently have, and is fairly low mileage, at less than 88000 miles. The car is a one owner, and Carfax has 33 records showing regular maintenance has been performed. Lots of pictures showing good/excellent condition on exterior, interior and engine compartment (slight surface rust on strut tower not flanges, throttle body linkage, the usual spots. My concerns lie with, undercarriage condition (rust that may exceed surface oxidation, leaks (which I doubt would show anyway, due to the level the car has been detailed, and...how it drives. Any noises from eng or trans is a deal breaker. I know too well the issues with the C59, but would be willing to gamble a bit here, as my first trans the Envy went 249,000 miles. Here again, the low mileage, and pretty flat terrain where the car is located, would lend me to believe that the power train has not been overworked, or abused. Color is not a big factor, although if it was another Envygeen one...it would booost my interest more ;)
I have 3 other Vibes in my family, and have the knowledge/tools to maintain these cars. I really would like to stay with what I know. Moving on to another, I do have someone who is highly mechanically skilled, who lives 1.5 hrs away, and has agreed to check the car for me if needed. 500.00 to ship to me. I do not like purchasing a vehicle without driving it first, and confirming all of the areas that potentially would be an issue, but I would trust some of the senior GV members, and my cousin to be as particular as I would be. Now, if I can only get the seller to put it on a lift(it is a Dealersip), and shoot me pictures of the areas I have requested, I'd be able to say yes/no to having someone go and test drive for me. I do wish I could find one closer, with same options,miles, service records, but have not been able to.
Thanks again for your response.
Jon
Last edited by 455SD on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnvyGreen03
455SD

Post by 455SD »

I meant to ask how you like you Fit, and why?
EnvyGreen03
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Hi Jon,

The Fit, introduced globally as the Jazz, many years prior to the 2007 US introduction, has demonstrated that it is clearly one of the top 5 mechanically bulletproof cars (along with the Civic and Toyota Highlander and perhaps two others) on the road. Abuse and neglect doesn't seem to wear them out. The Fit is an urban only vehicle however. If I was to take a small car on a long trip, I would not do it in a Fit. I also would not haul bicycles behind a Fit, like I do with my 1.8 Corolla Vibe. The 1.5 liter Fit engine is just too small for anything other than passengers on a regular basis. That being said, my Fit was a perfect example of Honda OEM fluid and parts being the best in the business. None of my fluids were changed by the original owner when I bought it at 94,000 miles and my ace mechanic said that it could have gone a bit more. The car is a blast to drive; like driving a roller skate. But again, unless you are very short, the car won't make a comfortable companion for taller drivers over the long haul. Turn the key and go..............that's a Fit for sure. The current (third generation) is assembled (temporarily) in Mexico. With that, there have been lots of fit and finish problems with production. Most of not all of the future Fits are scheduled to be assembled back in Japan again. The interior layout is quite roomy for moving students back to school, or hauling things from the local hardware store.
455SD

Post by 455SD »

I understand the Fit now. You still have a Vibe. Cool!
EnvyGreen03
455SD

Post by 455SD »

No need for someone to check this car out for me. I have all of the information I needed.
Now, it is a wait & see whether the store manager will budge on the price any...
Peace!
EnvyGreen03
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I am in the western suburbs of Chicago, but am just seeing this post now (5 days after the original post was made) and I can't drive stick :(. Definitely let us know if you end up getting it though. Best of luck ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage