Tweeter replacement

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
CaliVibe03

Tweeter replacement

Post by CaliVibe03 »

Tweeters don't work

I recently replaced the old rotted away factory door speakers and hoped it would also bring back the sound to the tweeters (it didn't)..

I put a multimeter to the pos neg lines going to the tweeters and it is getting power of some kind so my guess is the tweeter itself is busted (hopefully).

Any special tweeters I need? or just any 1" will do?

Thanks for all the great info on this site as well.
MacGyver

Re: Tweeter replacement

Post by MacGyver »

You should install component door speakers (woofer and tweeter) as a set, otherwise they will sound terrible.
2009 Vibe Base
Derf

Post by Derf »

What steps have you taken to isolate the tweeter as the issue? What trim package do you have, base, moon+tunes? Does it have an aftermarket radio?
The OEM tweeters have built in filter, if that is damaged they could quit working. Or simply an aftermarket radio (such as Pioneer) with Front Image Enhancer, that cuts the highs to the front speakers. Resetting the radio could wipe away conflicting settings allowing the full spectrum to reach your tweeters.
Agree with the previous post, speakers should be purchased as a set, the OEM speakers are 2 Ohm, most aftermarket are 4 Ohm which can create balancing issues and make the system sound terrible.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
CaliVibe03

Post by CaliVibe03 »

Derf wrote:What steps have you taken to isolate the tweeter as the issue? What trim package do you have, base, moon+tunes? Does it have an aftermarket radio?
The OEM tweeters have built in filter, if that is damaged they could quit working. Or simply an aftermarket radio (such as Pioneer) with Front Image Enhancer, that cuts the highs to the front speakers. Resetting the radio could wipe away conflicting settings allowing the full spectrum to reach your tweeters.
Agree with the previous post, speakers should be purchased as a set, the OEM speakers are 2 Ohm, most aftermarket are 4 Ohm which can create balancing issues and make the system sound terrible.
Moon & tunes no sub. OEM head unit

I think I will just touch some cheap tweeters to the lines and see if any sound comes out.

Thanks guys for the ohm info. I need to learn more about all that stuff. and yes, my replacement woofers were 4 ohm.
pakong

Post by pakong »

I believe all factory speakers are 2 ohm