Vibe Battery

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SuJo

Vibe Battery

Post by SuJo »

I went to mechanic for an all points inspection.
Turned out (even though my car was running fine) they said I need a new battery (right now).
They also said that my 2009 Vibe needed a specialty battery, so it would cost $250 ...
Do Vibes (mine has no bells or whistles) need specialty battery's?
Thanks
JetBlack

Re: Vibe Battery

Post by JetBlack »

No that's incorrect. '09 Vibe needs a regular 24F battery. You should be able to install it yourself too with just a socket. JetBlack runs off a Walmart ValuePower VP-24F Battery.

Link to the exact one I got.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ValuePower-V ... y/47308797
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
SuJo

Post by SuJo »

Thanks very much JetBlack!!
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Good batteries are inexpensive at Costco. I just bought a group 78, and it was $50 cheaper.
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

SuJo wrote:Thanks very much JetBlack!!
Anytime, I would strongly suggest you get an Inexpensive OBD2 reader (That's compatible with your phone OS). This would let run a basic self-diagnostics on the Voltage your Battery is supplying & give you an idea about the area of trouble.

Personally, I have had 2 alternators die on me leaving me usually with a battery that seems dead.
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Since they couldn't find anything actually wrong, they were finding some way to make some money off you.

There's nothing special about a Vibe battery, regardless of year. My 06 is runnning an AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto Parts. I only splurged for the Gold for the better warranty.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
SuJo

Post by SuJo »

Thanks again for all your input!! Yes runningslow, I do think I need to find a new mechanic. .. The thing is, finding a trustworthy mechanic (not the easiest thing to do when you are female). I may come back here for more input if and when the time comes!!
Thanks again!!
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

SuJo wrote:Thanks again for all your input!! Yes runningslow, I do think I need to find a new mechanic. .. The thing is, finding a trustworthy mechanic (not the easiest thing to do when you are female). I may come back here for more input if and when the time comes!!
Thanks again!!
Come back any time you have a question. You can also come find us in our Facebook group. You might get a faster response over there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Genvibe/
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

....yes, but the best answers are on this board. :ugeek:

As for finding mechanics, try going to http://www.repairpal.com and enter your location to find top rated mechanics in your area. Just click on the big orange button (find a certified Repair Pal mechanic in your area) and away you go.
SuJo

Post by SuJo »

I will keep that in mind caretaker!! Thank you!
And I will check out that site too!
Very much appreciated!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

For the record, the majority of car batteries in North America are made by Exide or Johnson Controls, and sold under dozens of brands. Walmart or Costco batteries are fine.
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I used to work for Johnson Controls, before moving over to Honeywell, and one of my customers was the JCI Battery plant out by Toledo Express airport. They showed me all the different stickers that went on the tops of batteries just prior to them being shipped out. Too many to list. A nasty environment to work in too :(
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yep, $250 for a battery is insane! We have Optima Red Tops in both our 09 GTs and even they didn't cost anywhere near that!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
SuJo

Post by SuJo »

All of your input has been awesome, and I appreciate it, so much! I will definitely be back when other problems arise!!
Thanks again!!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

SuJo wrote:All of your input has been awesome, and I appreciate it, so much! I will definitely be back when other problems arise!!
Thanks again!!
We have the best group of people here! If you're on Facebook, definitely look up GenVibe and join us over there too! Unfortunately, activity around here has greatly decreased over the past year or so, but the FB page is still very active and always entertaining.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

vibenvy wrote:
SuJo wrote:All of your input has been awesome, and I appreciate it, so much! I will definitely be back when other problems arise!!
Thanks again!!
We have the best group of people here! If you're on Facebook, definitely look up GenVibe and join us over there too! Unfortunately, activity around here has greatly decreased over the past year or so, but the FB page is still very active and always entertaining.
"Entertaining..." That's one way to describe the FB page. :lol:

Absolutely a good group of people. Plenty of good information to go around.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum