High Idle

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingKrab65

High Idle

Post by KingKrab65 »

I replaced my intake manifold, throttle body, and added a CAI on my '03 Vibe. After assembly, I let the Vibe run for approximately 15 minutes for the MAF to relearn. The RPM's in Park are still high, in the 1,400 range. When in Drive, the idle is in the 800 range (it was a frog hair north of 600 before the swap). The high idle in Park is a little concerning to me. I know that it takes a while for the ECU to get used to the equipment but is that only for the in Drive idle rather than the Park or does that apply to both? Should I unplug the battery again and start the relearning over?
2003 Base Vibe
MacGyver

Re: High Idle

Post by MacGyver »

You have to drive some distance for the ECU to relearn. Around 50 miles before the engine starts behaving properly again, has been my experience. It feels like it will stall which is annoying, but it won't.

FYI my 2nd gen does not do this. I can have the battery disconnected for hours, and the car drives great once I have everything put back together.
2009 Vibe Base
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

That's cool. I will keep an eye on it over the next week.

Thanks for your help.
2003 Base Vibe
KingKrab65

Re: High Idle Revisited

Post by KingKrab65 »

Everything seemed to be back to normal except for the high idle in Park.

Last Thursday on the way home, I was stuck at a long light. I was creeping up in traffic as the traffic light cycled when the check engine light came. I took it up Auto Zone to get the computer to check it out. The error came up as P0505 which turned out to to be the Idle Air Control Valve. On Saturday I replaced it with another IAC that came with the car (The one I had on there came with the throttle body from the salvage yard). After replacing the IAC, I let the car idle for 15 minutes like you are supposed to.

Everything seemed Jake on Sunday and Monday. This morning I was stuck at an other long traffic light and the check engine light came on again. I haven't had a chance to take it to have it scanned yet. I have a feeling that it will be the P0505 code again.

My question is: Is there something else that it could be or do I just bite the bullet and spend $190 for a new IAC?
2003 Base Vibe
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

MacGyver wrote:You have to drive some distance for the ECU to relearn. Around 50 miles before the engine starts behaving properly again, has been my experience. It feels like it will stall which is annoying, but it won't.

FYI my 2nd gen does not do this. I can have the battery disconnected for hours, and the car drives great once I have everything put back together.
I learn more every day thanks to MacGyver!
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

It actually hasn't been fixed yet.

After the check engine light came back on this past Wednesday, I checked this forum and a couple of others. I removed the and cleaned the MAF again, I rechecked all the connections and retightened them, pulled the plug on the IAC and touched it up with contact cleaner, checked the connections for the TPS, and let the engine idle for 15 minutes to relearn.

Once again, everything seemed fine through Thursday and most of Friday. After coming home, I went to pick up the pizza tonight AND the check engine light came on again.

Didn't get any answers from my previous post from Wednesday but I will ask again. Does anyone have any idea what it could be besides the IAC?
2003 Base Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Update 10/10:

I removed and sent the the Maxbore throttle body back. George inspected it and sent it back with a clean bill of health (he is great to deal with by the way). I ended up buying a new IAC, got new gaskets for the IAC and throttle body, and a new hose for the PCV.

Assembled everything and tightened the bolts up to torque specifications. Idled the engine as recommended. Approximately 8 minutes into the 15 for the relearning, the idle kicked way down to 700 rpm just like it was before. I guess I had two questionable IAC's or a leak in one of the gaskets. The Vibe is back and running like a top.
2003 Base Vibe