Another New Member

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
darkwing

Another New Member

Post by darkwing »

I'm in north central Texas near Dallas Ft. Worth.

I have 2005 Vibe. 170,000 + miles. Best car I ever had. Bought it used in 2010, I think. It seems to be starting to lose it's pep. Has a slight oil leak from near the top of engine. Not sure where it from. Any ways, I'm thinking about the timing chain. ( I love that, a timing chain. ) I have turned wrenches but on other than autos. Like equipment, and stuff. So I feel don't fix it if it not broke. But, I'm worried about the timing chain. I know 200k should be the time to worry. I'm thinking I may be pushing my luck. I've only had to replace the battery and tires wipers. Nothing more than that, not even the serpentine belt.

Best darn car I've ever had. What should I be looking for to help with it's pep.
ColonelPanic

Re: Another New Member

Post by ColonelPanic »

Welcome!

If the oil leak is on the rear of the engine on the passenger side, check the timing chain tensioner. Very common for the O-ring to fail and oil to leak out from around the tensioner on the 1ZZ engine. The tensioner can be replaced or the O-ring can be replaced on the existing tensioner.

viewtopic.php?t=43333
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome to a fellow Texan! There are several members in the DFW area, so you are not alone. I'm in Houston. Hopefully they will chime in.
I agree about the o ring. Haven't had issues on my son's 06, but my old 03 has the leak. But since it is a GT, and harder to change, it has just been tolerated as a leak. I think both Gary and Josh up until your area have changed their o rings.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

trb wrote:Welcome to a fellow Texan! There are several members in the DFW area, so you are not alone. I'm in Houston. Hopefully they will chime in.
I agree about the o ring. Haven't had issues on my son's 06, but my old 03 has the leak. But since it is a GT, and harder to change, it has just been tolerated as a leak. I think both Gary and Josh up until your area have changed their o rings.

Good luck with it!
Welcome. As Thomas said, I'm in the DFW area. Live in Carrollton and work in Dallas. Mine has be relatively trouble free as well, aside from a few self inflicted problems. Mine has never been especially peppy (especially compared to my wife's Corolla), but at the moment I have been suffering from some seriously bad fuel economy.

I'm not going to be any help on the oil leak. Thomas, I've never messed with the o-rings. Maybe Gary has though.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
darkwing

Post by darkwing »

ColonelPanic wrote:Welcome!

If the oil leak is on the rear of the engine on the passenger side, check the timing chain tensioner. Very common for the O-ring to fail and oil to leak out from around the tensioner on the 1ZZ engine. The tensioner can be replaced or the O-ring can be replaced on the existing tensioner.

viewtopic.php?t=43333
Thank you Colonel Panic,
Maybe my reply's will get better after when I learn more about how this works. If it is time for me to go ahead and open up the engine to replace the time chain, I want to be sure to replace every thing I can while I'm into the engine this far. Thanks for the advice.
darkwing

Post by darkwing »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
I will post pics vibenvy but only after I have it shiny. lol
darkwing

Post by darkwing »

trb wrote:Welcome to a fellow Texan! There are several members in the DFW area, so you are not alone. I'm in Houston. Hopefully they will chime in.

Good luck with it!
Thanks trb, I've had the leak for to long and now the Igot to take care of the car . It sure has took care of me.
darkwing

Post by darkwing »

runningslow wrote:

Good luck with it!
Welcome. As Thomas said, I'm in the DFW area. Live in Carrollton and work in Dallas. Mine has be relatively trouble free as well, aside from a few self inflicted problems. Mine has never been especially peppy (especially compared to my wife's Corolla), but at the moment I have been suffering from some seriously bad fuel economy.

I'm not going to be any help on the oil leak. Thomas, I've never messed with the o-rings. Maybe Gary has though.
Oh the car will get right on up down the road. I have to watch out for the law man. I just feel it a lil slugish when leaving a light or stop sign.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Looking forward to pics ONCE you clean her up :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"