Battery cables crossed

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Kijonkijon

Battery cables crossed

Post by Kijonkijon »

I have a 2006 Vibe and recently someone gave me a jump and to my amazement the wires got crossed on their side so as soon as I go to hook my side up Sparks fly after all that's get sorted out I have nothing I start going through my fuses I blew the 100 amp and five other smaller fuses...The Thing I'm needing help with is should I be expecting to replace other electrical components have only driven a few days and this morning on the way home from work acted like it didn't want to start... never had a problem before only needed jump because left lights on and thoughts are appreciated
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Battery cables crossed

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Hopefully, fuses caught it but hard to say. You may just have to keep driving and see if you start having other issues. Have you ran the codes, yet?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Try to pull any code from the ECU to see if there's anything wrong with it.
Your said the battery is drained and you need a jump start. So probably the battery is weak and that's why the car was reluctant to start. The car needs a new battery.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Or the alternator is going bad and thus the battery doesn't have the proper charge. Both can be tested for free at just about any auto parts store, ie; Autozone, OReilly's, Advance, etc. if you do not have the means. Those things won't necessarily show on a code scan, which, can also be performed for free at those above locations lacking the means/ability to do it yourself.

Again, hope the fuses caught the surge and it didn't damage something else, including your ecu.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Kijonkijon wrote: Thing I'm needing help with is should I be expecting to replace other electrical components have only driven a few days and this morning on the way home from work acted like it didn't want to start... never had a problem before only needed jump because left lights on and thoughts are appreciated
A number of people here have had that happen, and I'm pretty sure nobody had any damage other than fuses. Often multiple fuses blew, but I don't remember anyone having some other component affected.

As others have said, a deep discharge is bad for vulnerable battery, its hard to say what effect leaving the lights on had on your specific battery, but if it was weak, I'd expect trouble cranking, not a problem with turning over fine but just not starting.