New Member Post P0171 code issue

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VibeInPitt

New Member Post P0171 code issue

Post by VibeInPitt »

Good Morning Everyone...I am new to this post and it has saved me on numerous occasions with my Vibe. I own a 2006 Vibe and use it as a work car so it gets lots of mileage(150K). Anyway, I bought this car 2 years ago and have had fuel running lean issue since I bought it. Intermittently I will receive a P171 CE code especially during the winter months or when it is below 50F outside. It runs around 600-800 RPM on idle and surges back and forth from there to around 900 RPM. I have worked on or replaced the following in order: Changed Spark plugs, Cleaned fuel injectors, Cleaned MAF sensor, replaced air filter, Changed both O2 sensors, Tested all 4 coils ok, checked all vacuum lines, replaced cat conv, replaced intake manifold gasket. I still have lean fuel issues currently and getting really frustrated on what is actually causing this. I have already brought it to a mech and they said O2 but clearly not the problem. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to check next??

Thank You
Marcus>
JetBlack

Re: New Member Post P0171 code issue

Post by JetBlack »

I had a similar issue as this, Check your brake booster. Leaves P0171 and is rather hard to diagnose if you happen to have newer brakes. Try pumping the brakes and turning on the car to confirm pedal pull if you dont feel it. Its the brake booster?
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I know you said you replaced it, but 99% of the time a P0171 is a leaking air intake gasket. Did you use the correct, redesigned orange gasket from Toyota?
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
VibeInPitt

Post by VibeInPitt »

I have tried the brake booster testing, no issue. I did replace with one of those orange gaskets from the Toyota dealer too. I appreciate any more suggestions or info please. Now my engine has been starting to spark knock on acceleration and been getting worse for months now due to the lean issue.
BenGenVibe07

Post by BenGenVibe07 »

I'm having similar issues. Did you find a fix?