Vibe Replacements / Successors

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
striker1211

Vibe Replacements / Successors

Post by striker1211 »

So my Vibe has treated me great with no issues for the last 113k miles but I am starting to research its replacement due to the rough ride and broken down seat. I have combed the junk yards to no avail. I would also like to get better MPG on my next car. Unfortunately I have found that newer cars seem to have gotten bigger and less fuel efficient while somehow at the same time reducing interior cargo volume... I have taken a tape measure to every test drive.... anyways, Heres are my needs:

1. Same or more cargo area as vibe
2. More fuel efficient than vibe
3. Softer ride

So far my list of possible replacement is:
1. Ford C-MAX SEL
(not the Energi model because it has less space due to battery, I cannot find non-energi models ANYWHERE for a good price to even test drive, I tried an energi model and it was okay but almost no room in rear)

2. Honda Fit
(An excellent replacement that gets better mileage, has ALMOST as much usable space, but almost as rough of a ride, gets 38 mpg though)

I have filtered out:
1. Ford Escape
(gas guzzling and smaller hatch, ride is squishy yet somehow bumpy)
2. Toyota Corolla iM
(tiny tiny tiny, oh so tiny)

Has anyone out there found something that one-upped their vibe on all the criteria listed? Thanks.

Photos of Vibe next to C-max and Fit

My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
Caretaker

Re: Vibe Replacements / Successors

Post by Caretaker »

Cars have certainly gotten bigger as they have given way to small SUVs and CUVs. I think you need to look there because things have changed radically, AND FOR THE BETTER. Using 6 speed transmission or CVT technology in today's vehicles has most definitely increased MPGs and efficiency. As you are replacing your Vibe, you are very lucky to have a complete category of CUVs that you cannot go wrong picking any one of them. The Forester, CRV, RAV4, CX5, Tucson....all are much better vehicles than the Vibe and don't require that you compromise passenger comfort or load capacity to accommodate more people or more stuff on any given trip. Professional reports and feedback from consumers on these CUVs have been glowing. I'd take advantage of this very competitive category of vehicles and pick one. None of the manufacturers of these CUVs wants to be outdone by the other since they bring in big money. The manufacturers keep refreshing their CUVs frequently in order to stay at the top of the pack. I believe I read that nearly 50% of Mazda sales are CX5 sales. You see them everywhere. Good luck with your choice.
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Gen 2 Vibe is almost identical in dimensions to today's compact crossovers like the Honda HRV, Toyota CHR, Chevy Trax, etc. If next week my income doubles and my Vibe is totaled I would gravitate towards Honda HRV, Mazda 3 or CX3, Buick Encore, or Toyota Corolla IM. I want to see a CHR in person, photos I've seen are a little too Jukish.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I don't plan on getting rid of my Vibe any time soon, but I've seen a couple Honda HRVs out and about recently and I really like the look of them.

My dad has a 2015 Chevy Trax. The cargo room is nowhere near the Vibe's.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

...........and while they may look fancy, the comfort level of the rear seating in the HRV and CHR are just slightly higher than a fitted pine box nailed shut. Check them out and think about your "friends" sitting back there before you buy one. I'll pass.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Subaru Forester is an excellent vehicle in a lot of aspects. IMO it can be a candidate after the Vibe.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
kostby

Post by kostby »

Our family owns one of each: 2003 Pontiac Vibe base, 2013 Ford C-MAX SE, and a 2013 Honda Fit Sport, purchased in that order.

So you already know all about the Vibe.

I can ramble on for hours about any of the 3 cars.

I'll make a few general comparisons, then feel free to ask me any questions.

We purchased our 2003 Vibe used with 2x,000 miles in spring of 2004.

We own a 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SE, purchased new in the spring of 2014, with moonroof, and pkg 201A (rear lift gate, ambient lighting), and white-platinum paint. Got a screamin' deal because the car had been in inventory for almost a year. Didn't want the leather seating of the SEL. Wanted flat trunk floor and the extra trunk space of the Hybrid vs the plug-in Energi Hybrid for our primary car.

My son purchased a used 2013 Honda Fit Sport with 35,000 miles in January 2017 as his first car. We also test drove a 2015 Fit LX (there was no 2014 model). He preferred the 2013 Fit Sport, as did I. He's driven it about 4,000 miles since then. I've driven it about 100 miles since he's owned it, mostly short local trips, but one 50 mile round-trip on the interstate. Haven't really tried the paddle shifters. Seems like a gimmick on a car with only 117 horsepower. Honda Fit seems like the perfect 'college' car for a student who needs to haul tons of personal possessions from home to school and back several times a year. Relatively low entry price, especially used. Relatively efficient, comparable to other vehicles in the price/size/performance range. Small, easy to maneuver, great visibility, and easy to park on a crowded campus because it's small. Roomy enough and comfy enough for 3 or 4 passengers for modest distances. Legendary Honda appliance-like reliability.

==========

2013 Honda Fit Sport 5-speed automatic versus Vibe:
Definitely smaller outside, a bit smaller passenger accommodations, a bit better (10% for the 2013 Fit Sport) gas mileage, 'busier' ride because shorter wheelbase and less padding in the seats, comparable noise level. More usable cargo space and more cargo flexibility because the Fit rear seats bottom cushions ALSO can fold up to make space for tall objects sitting on the floor behind the rear seat. Fit Sport performance with the 5-speed automatic seems comparable to the Vibe with the 4-speed automatic up to legal speed limits. I haven't driven the Fit on a 2-lane road where I needed to pass a large truck quickly. My estimate is that patience would be a virtue, as it is with the Vibe in similar circumstances.

My son is achieving right at 35mpg with about 80% highway driving in his daily 30-mile round-trip commute to and from work. Driving the Vibe on the same route he was getting 31 in the Vibe. Honda EPA rating is 33/27 for the 2013 Fit Sport Auto. The Sport bodywork is less aerodynamic and slightly heavier than the Base, so the Fit Base gets a bit better mileage. Yes, 2015 & newer Fit with CVT is rated at 38/32 highway but check Fuelly for real-world reports. The CVT just felt sluggish to me, even though horsepower and engine displacement increased from 1.5L 117hp (2013) to 1.8L 130hp with the 2015's.

Before purchasing, we test drove the 2013 Fit Sport, and a 2015 Fit LX a few minutes apart. The 2013 Fit Sport with the 5-speed automatic was much more responsive to both steering and throttle input than the 2015 with CVT. Full Disclosure : The Kumho Ectsa 185/55R16 tires on 16" alloy wheels the 2013 Fit Sport vs. 185/60R15 All Season tires on the 2015 LX could account for that. The 2015 was a bit quieter.

==========

2013 Ford C-MAX SE versus Vibe
When gas is $1.99 per gallon, unless you drive 30,000 miles a year, it's nearly impossible to ever "pay for" for the increased cost of a hybrid vs a similar model with a fairly efficient internal-combustion-engine and CVT.

Our real-world C-MAX gas mileage is 41.something. We drive an average of 8,000 miles a year in the C-MAX, about 50% short trips of 5 miles or less at 40mph or less, and 50% longer interstate trips at 65-70mph The optimistic dash display currently shows 42.2mpg lifetime (just under 20,000 miles).

FACT: Most Hybrids are far less efficient in the cold winter months, especially for short trips where the car is not fully warmed up.
Counterpoint: The same is ALSO true of internal-combustion-only vehicles. But they don't usually display instant MPG constantly, so you're not as aware that your mpgs are lower in winter than summer.

FACT: Hybrids are slightly more efficient in hilly terrain, with more chance for regen to recharge the battery both from going downhill and braking.
Living in central Indiana, our worst winter fill-ups (20 degrees and under) average 32mpg, while our warm-weather (50-degrees and above) fill-ups average about 44mpg.

FACT: Higher highways speeds negate most or all of the C-MAX hybrid gas mileage advantage. 50mpg at 50mph, vs 35mpg at 75mph.

Check out 'kostby's C-MAX Thread' in these forums. SOME early SE models with base audio system like ours experienced episodes of a discharged 12-volt battery and non-start. We had it happen a few times. Ford worked tirelessly to resolve the issues, and the combined updates did resolve the issue by mid-2015.

C-MAX ride is far quieter (in part due to active noise cancellation from the audio system) and is much more refined.

C-MAX throttle response is great. Almost feels like a V-6 or a turbo. 188hp C-MAX Hybrid vs 130hp for the Vibe.

The C-MAX definitely "feels larger' and heavier. The turning circle is noticeably greater than the Vibe. But you get used to it...
Passenger space feels larger and more open, especially with the moonroof. It does not open, but the moonroof with translucent fabric shade gives the car almost a mini-van feel because of the extra light and feeling of spaciousness it provides.

C-MAX FUTURE?: The US-built C-MAX (Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne Michigan) will disappear in the near future, perhaps as soon as the last of the 2017 models. (The plant will be converted to produce the new-generation Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco, apparently debuting as 2019 models.)
The hybrid vehicle that will be produced in Hermosillo, Mexico MIGHT be called the "Model E". Ford is primarily a Truck company in the US. Ford sells more F-150's in two months than they've sold combined production of all C-MAX Hybrids, Hybrid SELs, Energi SELs, (new 2017 model designations) Hybrid SE, Hybrid Platinum, Energi SE and Energi Platinum in 5 years of production since 2012.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
kostby

Post by kostby »

I've found the following C-MAX forum user-friendly and very helpful: fordcmaxhybridforum.com

And this Honda Fit forum is user-friendly, has an international audience, and covers all 3 generations of Fit/Jazz GD(2001-2008), GE(2009-2013), and GK (2015-current): fitfreak.net

I rarely post, but I'm kostby in those forums, too.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
SomethingBruin

Post by SomethingBruin »

When I was out car shopping last month to replace my 2004 Vibe, I test drove the Mazda CX3, Honda HRV, and Kia Niro, as well as used a Elantra GT (2014). My impressions (disclosure: I'm not a "car person" so most of these observations are fairly superficial):

1. CX3: From the outside it looks comparable to the Vibe, but once you get inside it seems so much smaller. It puts the "sub" in subcompact crossover. Even with the seat all the way down I felt cramped and like I was going to bump my head. Gas mileage was OK but not outstanding (29/34).

2. HRV: Felt more like an SUV than a car. You sit up higher. I hate that you can't get roof rails on anything but the most expensive model. None of the ones on the lot had sticker prices below $26,000. Basically the same gas mileage as the CX3. I didn't sit in the back seat, so I can't speak to the other commenter's experience with its comfort.

3. Kia Niro: Surprised by how much I loved it. If I had the money to buy a new car, I would have gotten it. It's a hybrid so they say it gets slightly better gas mileage in the city (52) than highway (49). To me, the Niro had the feel and driving experience that felt like a nicer update to the Vibe. A bit bigger but didn't feel like an SUV. Seemed to have good cargo space, and wasn't outrageously priced--the one I drove had a $23,000 sticker price. It's brand new this year, so I might wait a year or two to let them work out any kinks. I'll be keeping an eye on the used market in a few years for one of these.

4. Elantra GT hatchback: I liked it more than I thought I would. It felt like a car, but had more space than I would have thought. If you definitely want to stay with a car rather than a crossover SUV, you should check it out. One caveat: Several relatives of mine have Elantras or other Hyundais and all have complained that the Hankook tires that come on new Hyundais are terrible in snow. If you live in an area that gets winter weather, figure in the money to put on new tires that can handle snow/ice.

In the end, I bought a used 2009 Vibe that was more in my price range, but when I go back on the market in a few years, the Niro and Elantra will both still be on my list of used cars to look for.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

speaking as a current Elantra Touring owner and a huge Hyundai fan, I must say that I'd steer clear of the current Elantra series. We rented one (sedan) up in Vancouver and I have driven the GT. Hyundai still has not fixed the numb nor the too-quick-to-move-out-of-your-lane steering, nor the annoying lag in the first to second gear shifting. Moreover, the seats were the worst I have ever driven in. Very uncomfortable and quickly caused back aches. My old style Kia/Hyundai Elantra Touring has fantastic seats and slightly better steering. If you want to have a back ache and you want to be on edge the entire time you are driving due to a slight movement in the steering wheel causing you to wander into other lanes, then the current Elantra is for you. As for the tires, yes, the factory gives you Hankook H426s which are fabulous tires as long as you are deaf and are driving on dry pavement every day.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

striker1211 wrote: 1. Same or more cargo area as vibe
2. More fuel efficient than vibe
3. Softer ride
sounds like my list, but I might add
4. Quieter interior

#1 and #2 tend to be mutually exclusive. So far the only thing I've found that matches them is the Nissan Rogue hybrid.

Specs on a gen1 Vibe are
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Up (ft³)19.3
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Down (ft³)54.1
fueleconomy.com 25 city/31 hwy auto tranny, 26 city/33 hwy manual tranny

2017 Rogue hybrid specs are
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Up (ft³)39.3
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Down (ft³)70.0
fueleconomy.com 33 city/35 hwy FWD, 31 city/34 hwy AWD

Haven't ever been inside one, let alone test drove one, so can't say how it rides. Haven't done any reliability/customer satisfaction digging on them yet either

genvibe moderator Sputnk switched from a Vibe to a Rogue back in 2007 viewtopic.php?f=40&t=25101, then she moved on to another Nissan about 5 years later
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

kostby wrote:Our family owns one of each: 2003 Pontiac Vibe base, 2013 Ford C-MAX SE, and a 2013 Honda Fit Sport, purchased in that order.........

Wow that post was one of the most well thought-out and well explained posts I've ever seen. I came to all the same conclusions about the C-MAX and am actually looking closer at Prius V's. I have test drove one at a dealer but it had 110k miles on it and they wanted 12k. I basically used it as a guilt free test drive. If I can add some info to this thread: The 2012 Prius V was like driving a vibe towing a trailer with 5 people in it. I did get 42 mpg on my test drive though and I was hammering it. The size side by side of the vibe is about the same. The Prius V sits 3 inches closer to the ground. The hatch opening is bigger than on the vibe but the rear storage space is the same. The ride is much smoother than the vibe and there is less road noise. I will keep reporting back the more vehicles I drive. My Vibe now needs a new timing belt tensioner (only $22, but still, I hate the smell of oil) so it is looking more and more like replacement may be an issue soon. Thanks for the replies everyone!
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
Mark

Post by Mark »

My wife's 2012 Honda CR-V is only slightly larger than the Vibes, has more cargo room, a larger engine and gets very similar gas mileage. And it's AWD.

I thought it was quite a bit larger than the Vibe when we bought it, but parked side by side you can see that it's just a few inches larger in each dimension. And our EX was right about $25k new.

If I get ambitious one of these days I can park them side by side and snaps some pics.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Have you looked at the Chevy cruze hatchback?

I know I know... evil words to utter... but cargo space is comparable, mileage is 28 city / 37 highway, not sure on the ride though.
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

If you are still taking options you may want to look up VW Golf. If Found golf to be very roomy and if driven lighty pretty inexpensive car to maintain. (I am talking about base Golf here)
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
Bigzamboni

Post by Bigzamboni »

petervivian wrote:Subaru Forester is an excellent vehicle in a lot of aspects. IMO it can be a candidate after the Vibe.
This is high on my list for a replacement. I got sideswiped 2 weeks ago. I was at 187k miles. I'd prefer to add some money and replace it with something with fewer miles, but most of the vibes I'm seeing in the NJ/NY area up there like mine was, or are the uglier (in my opinion) later generations.

Seeing a fair number of HHRs in my price range. Space wise and fuel economy are similar, but from what I'm reading, they seem to require more maintenance on steering and suspension.

Most Foresters are a bit higher in price, but seeing Subarus well over 200k miles seems pretty common as well, so the budget stretch would probably pay off on that regard.

On the Subaru I like some of the car camping mods I've seen. I've slept in the vibe a fair bit. Have thought about becoming a van dweller for a while, even :D
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Bigzamboni wrote:
This is high on my list for a replacement. I got sideswiped 2 weeks ago. I was at 187k miles. I'd prefer to add some money and replace it with something with fewer miles, but most of the vibes I'm seeing in the NJ/NY area up there like mine was, or are the uglier (in my opinion) later generations.
I don't mind high mileage. A 2014 (I think that 's the first year model of the current gen) Forester with over 100k miles can be had for around 10K usd.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Bluephoenix

Post by Bluephoenix »

Equinox has very good MPG, overall dependability is very good, AWD with factory equipped Michelin tires are terrific in Snow.

The "replacement" for the Vibe & Matrix would probably be the Corrolla iM. Toyota did make the Matrix through 13 or 14.
2010 Camaro 1SS/RS ABM L99
Mods: Corsa Catback, Stainless Works LT's & Hi-Flow Cats, Roto-Fab CAI, Factory GFX, Blade Spoiler

Previous:
09 Vibe GT Dark Blue
05 Vibe Satellite Silver
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The iM is no replacement. It's very cramped inside and has none of the headroom or versatility that made the Vibe/Matrix so loved. I can't even fit in an iM.
2009 Vibe Base