ABS Relay question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingKrab65

ABS Relay question

Post by KingKrab65 »

I was in the fuse box under the hood yesterday in my 2003 Vibe. I noticed that the two positions that are supposed to have relays for the ABS brakes do not have relays in either position. The brakes still work great. I am guessing that the previous owner had pulled them for a particular reason, maybe a dash light was on.

I guess my question is if it will be detrimental to me or the Vibe to continue to drive around without these relays in place?
2003 Base Vibe
ehoff121

Re: ABS Relay question

Post by ehoff121 »

Do you have ABS? Not all 1st gen FWD vibes do...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

I found this:

"The 2003 Vibe comes standard with dual front airbags and daytime running lights, but ABS brakes are only offered on the AWD and GT."

So, that would mean that I do not have ABS on my base version. Thank you ehoff121, for the heads up.
2003 Base Vibe
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

You're welcome!

You can confirm this by the absence of several 1/4" steel tubes running from the master brake cylinder, along the firewall, and over the right front tire. If you had ABS, the ABS unit would be just behind the headlight.

Here is a very nice 2003 AWD engine bay pic from one of our members, tnpartsguy. Notice the gray ABS lines running in front of the strut tower behind the power steering fluid reservoir on the left.

2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum