maxbore question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingKrab65

maxbore question

Post by KingKrab65 »

I went to one of the local salvage yards this weekend for 40% off weekend. I found an '04 Matrix there that still had the throttle body and intake. I pulled them off as one unit. I am going to have George at maxbore enlarge both of them. Unfortunately, he will be on vacation for the next two weeks and I have to wait. I have a couple of questions. First, do I separate the two before shipping up to him? Second, did anyone who had both items bored out see marked increase in power and/or mileage? (I had the throttle body bored out on my Dakota and noticed a quicker throttle response and small amount of power but the mileage stayed the same.)

Just curious.
2003 Base Vibe
vibrologist

Re: maxbore question

Post by vibrologist »

I don't see why mileage should improve with boring out the TB. In a typical situation you will not even use WOT (wide open throttle). That means if you drive your usual speed the same amount of air will enter the engine and the computer will calculate the same a mount of fuel to inject. The air will flow a little slower because there is a little less restriction in the intake line. That accounts for your improvement in throttle response.

my 2 cents...
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
KingKrab65

Re: maxbore question

Post by KingKrab65 »

I would have thought that the air would move quicker with less restrictions rather than slower.

Thank you for your response!
2003 Base Vibe