specs for stock door speakers? base model 2007 base radio

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
roleo71

specs for stock door speakers? base model 2007 base radio

Post by roleo71 »

I am upgrading my stock GM stereo receiver(burned out display) to a JVC unit which has an output of 50w rms x 4. Just wondering if anyone knows the specs of the stock door speakers in terms of power range, frequency response, sensitivity, etc.? I'd rather not have to swap out the speakers at this time so I'm hoping the stock ones will sound ok with the new stereo until I get around to doing a speaker upgrade in the future.
jayoldschool

Re: specs for stock door speakers? base model 2007 base radio

Post by jayoldschool »

They'll be "ok" if you keep the volume down. They're 2ohm, btw. However, even the cheapest Pioneer set from Canadian Tire or WalMart will be WAAYYY better than the stock paper cone units. You can order mounting rings, make your own from plywood/MDF/whatever, or do what I did: cut apart the old speaker to use the housing as a mounting ring for the new speakers.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The stock speakers will be fine, as long as you set the highpass frequency to 125 Hz, so you don't try to make the stock speakers reproduce low bass they were never designed to do.
2009 Vibe Base
roleo71

Post by roleo71 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm new to this forum and just realized that I should have posted my question under the audio section.