Got off lucky

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
loudsubz

Got off lucky

Post by loudsubz »

Last week my wifes battery was dead in the vibe (2007 base). She had some friends jump start it but it was evening out and I guess the battery was hard to see...anyways they ended up reversing the polarity on one of the batteries. Car had no vitals after, no lights nothing. When I got around to checking it out first thing I saw was the 100a fuse blown under the hood. Since we were out of town we had to take it into the local dealer and go home in a friends car.

The dealer finally got around to changing the 100a fuse but still no go. At this point I called and just had it towed back to our house 250km away (friend let us use their CAA).

Anyways I was just outside now looking at what the problem could be and ended up swapping 1 fuse under the dash and 2 under the hood. We were super lucky as I was reading it could have been as bad as the ECU being damaged etc.

Checked charging voltage and it's back to 14 @ idle.
Caretaker

Re: Got off lucky

Post by Caretaker »

your only mistake was taking it to a dealership. Once again, you figured out what "trained" mechanics couldn't.