Replace window weatherstripping/run channel

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
petervivian

Replace window weatherstripping/run channel

Post by petervivian »

I just replaced the front driver side window weatherstripping/run channel on this Friday afternoon. The weatherstripping is crushed and twisted on the top corner. During my last 2700 miles road trip, the wind noise from that corner drove me crazy even though I duct-taped the corner.

I replaced the old weatherstripping with a Toyota Matrix weatherstripping (Toyota 6815101051). It costs 60USD shipped and it is less expensive than the GM parts. It fits perfectly on the Vibe. I was wondering if the even less expensive Corolla weatherstripping also fits the Vibe/Matrix (edited on 5/23/2019: multiple sources confirmed the Corolla front door window weatherstripping works).

I started trying to push the weatherstripping down the metal guide channel as Fred Lyst did in his Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDuHwyKiOgo but I found it was extremely difficult in my case. So I have to remove the inside door panel and then the window glass (just two 10mm bolts to take off).

Removed parts were set on the back seats.

Now it’s effortless to insert the weatherstripping into the metal guide channel.

I can also pull it down from the inside of the door since the inside door panel has been removed.

The front side of the run channel is short so it’s easy to push it all in. There is one rubber dewel which needs to positioned in the hole on the door frame.

Lastly, use a small tool to run the entire channel to make sure the weatherstripping rests perfectly on the door frame.

Especially in this corner.

Now the glass runs smoothly and seals perfectly.
Last edited by petervivian on Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
tpollauf

Re: Replace window weatherstripping/run channel

Post by tpollauf »

Nice work and great write up :D What caused the original seal to deteriorate and go bad? Also when you said "bolts" were removed in order to pull the glass out, I thought most manufacturers use those large rivets to hold the glass in?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

tpollauf wrote:Nice work and great write up :D What caused the original seal to deteriorate and go bad? Also when you said "bolts" were removed in order to pull the glass out, I thought most manufacturers use those large rivets to hold the glass in?
I am not sure of the cause but I assume it's design/material flaw because it seems to be a common problem in first gen vibes. I first noticed the problem four years after it's manufactured but waited so long to fix it.
The window glass is hold down by two 10mm bolts.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Petervivian: and just like that you are referenced in the Maintenance Index.

Thanks a bunch!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476