Best way to swap 8 tires between two vibes? Possible to lift whole car with 1 jack?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pointbob

Best way to swap 8 tires between two vibes? Possible to lift whole car with 1 jack?

Post by pointbob »

Hey all.

I want to transfer the tires/wheels between two vibes.

I have currently two jack stands and one 3 ton pump lift jack.

Is it possible to lift one side of one car (access the side wheels) and leave it on jacks. I know I can lift the front of the car and elevate the front wheels but I'd also like to rotate the tires as a bonus.

If so where are the jack points on the rear for safe lifting? Or ideally lifting the whole car with 1 jack.

Should I buy another set of jack stands and lift jack?

Advice? Thanks
joatmon

Re: Best way to swap 8 tires between two vibes?

Post by joatmon »

Checked a couple of vibe owners manuals, the 04 and 09, and both recommend tire rotation just front to back, no diagonals or side to side. If you want to do that then you shaould be able to just jack up and remove one tire, set the car down on a jackstand, take the tire and jack to the other car, replace the desired tire, put that second tire in the empty spot on the first car and jack it down form the jackstand. Repeat for the other three corners. Take the front drivers side from Vibe 1 (V1FD) and put it on the rear drivers of vibe 2 (V2RD), put that V2RD in the hole oat V1FD.
Swap V1RD and V2RD, V1FP(passenger) with V2RP, V1RP and V2FP. You'll end up with the four tires swapped between vehicles, all the tires that were on the front of the cars will be ont he back, and the drivers/passenger side of all tires will be preserved

You could skip the jackstand and just use your lift jack and one of the car's scissor jacks.

If you use the sciossor jack, probably best to use the offical jacking points, which are identified in the owners manual, if you don't have one you can get a PDF of them at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=755
MacGyver

Re: Best way to swap 8 tires between two vibes? Possible to lift whole car with 1 jack?

Post by MacGyver »

If you are going to be changing tires yourself, get a proper trolley jack and jack stands. The spare tire jack is only for emergencies, not designed for regular use.
2009 Vibe Base
pointbob

Re: Best way to swap 8 tires between two vibes? Possible to lift whole car with 1 jack?

Post by pointbob »

Thanks a lot!
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

yeah, DO NOT use your spare tire jack. i had my vibe collapse to the ground whilst on my spare tire jack, barely missing my legs, which would have been crushed.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I've never had a scissor jack cause any problems but it sounds like they are death incarnate and should be outlawed. I wouldn't get under any car supported by just a jack, any jack

If he's worried about it, then he could use his acceptable jack to jack up one tire, and set it down on jackstands, then take the jack and tire to the other car, etc.

Or rent two forklifts ;)
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

For the record, I've had 3 scissor jacks fail over my lifetime. After the first time, I learned two things. Never work under them and be sure your legs aren't slid under the car while changing a tire, either. Secondly, use them only if you have to.

If you're going to use one as suggested above, (I would be tempted as I have a bad back and would be trying to save wear and tear), then be sure the main weight of the load is not on the scissor jack. Use it for the rear of the vehicle at the very least. Use it the least out of all your floor jack and stands. Last one in use, first one gone.

Do you have any other items, ie; wooden 2x4s, books, bricks, etc that could be put under the rear while using the scissor jack to help support it JUST IN CASE the scissor jack fails?

Either way, just be careful. Level, hard surface only. Good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage