Considering a 2nd Gen Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
subVibe

Considering a 2nd Gen Vibe

Post by subVibe »

Hi, new member here, my 2003 Vibe served me faithfully for over 150K miles but now I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2nd gen Vibe GT. My research has revealed a few problem areas I'm hoping you all can advise me on.

1. 2.4L oil consumption. This was a shock since my 2003 Vibe's engine is bulletproof. Going by part change dates it looks like I can probably avoid this problem:

GM parts giant:
June 2008: Piston redesign.
September 2008: Piston oil nozzle redesign.
December 2008: Crankshaft and balancer shaft bearing redesign.

Thus I want a Vibe built no earlier than September '08, and probably December '08 or later. I suppose it's possible that the crank/balance shaft bearings could alter piston dynamics and lead to oil consumption, and if not, they must have been change for a good reason.

2. Defective electronic power steering design. This one has me spooked. I've viewed youtube videos of the rattle and it's exactly the sort of annoyance that would put me in a mental hospital. Reportedly a GM mechanic told one GenVibe member than as many as 50% of 2nd Gen Vibe's are plagued by the rattle and it could become a safety concern if left unfixed. The safety bogeyman is a common sales tactic for mechanics but usually they're honest about a problem's prevalance.

I'm looking at Vibes with 40K to 90K miles so would most have the rattle by then? I also read about one owner who replaced the steering column three times with each fix lasting less than 20K miles. To paraphrase Ian Fleming, one fix I can handle, two fixes is dicey, three fixes is enemy action.

Yet the rattle seems to be only part of the problem. Toyota implemented a "silent recall" to install recalibrated EPS control modules for those who complained about a vague on-center feel at highway speeds:
To avoid a costly and expensive recall, Toyota and the federal regulators agreed that Toyota would send out a Technical Service Bulletin to its dealers advising the technicians to check tire and pressure alignment. If that did not work, Toyota would replace the computer that governs the electronic power steering with a new unit that had been “re-tuned” with an “alternative steering feel.”
Some of the descriptions of the Corolla/Matrix EPS highway behavior are what I would consider deal-breakers:
In 2010, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigated the alleged electric power steering problems, but closed the investigation in 2011. The investigation was opened after complaints about steering wheels that didn't feel "on-center" and left drivers feeling like strong crosswinds were pushing the cars sideways.
Hopefully that's just legal hyperbole, but I'll test drive any prospective Vibe at highway speeds. Have any GenVibe members have succeeded in getting an updated EPS control module installed by Toyota? I like a good handling car so I'd view the expense the same as a sway bar or strut upgrade.

Anything else I should look out for? I've noticed dealers seem to think the 2nd Gen Vibe GTs all age like wine. What a shame GM didn't keep the Vibe going under the Chevrolet brand. I need to buy American since many in my extended family work in the auto industry and the Vibe was a great a loophole for a reliable car. The other used car I'm thinking about is a Ford Focus hatchback but its transmission has a reputation for crapping the bed; it's the literal embodiment of Found On Roadside, Dead!

Thanks for any advice or leads on used Vibe GTs.
Last edited by subVibe on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerBear

Re: Considering a 2nd Gen Vibe. How bad is steering?

Post by JerBear »

I own a 2009 Vibe GT, it probably has a late 08 build date as the oil consumption is there. Our family has owned 4 vibes and all but mine have the 1.8 motor. Zero oil consumption there they all use synthetic Mobil and changes happening the 6 to 7k mile intervals. all of them have at least 100K miles and are still tight as a drum. Mine however has the 2.4 and I add 1.5 quarts in that same time frame. It's not a big deal when you consider the 1.8 takes 4.7L at the change and the 2.4 takes 4 the difference is about .7L in 6K miles.

The steering on mine is excellent, no wander and stays where I put it, tracking well in curves and no issues in uneven roads. My car has 90K for milage.

The only issue i had in many years of driving was the traction control and check engine lights illuminated. Code was for the rear o-2 sensor replaced it but the gremlin would not be fixed

I tried what I could to find it finally going to the dealership they replaced half the car before finally finding the problem The front O-2 sensor. seems Toyota in all their wisdom put both sensors on the same section of the wiring harness and even though the code said rear it was the front.
subVibe

Re: Considering a 2nd Gen Vibe

Post by subVibe »

That's great to hear about your steering being solid at 90K miles, it makes me feel much better about buying one after a test drive confirms it's tip top. The way some people comment it's like every one is threat to public safety. Agree on the oil consumption, it's not a deal breaker, just annoying.

That must have been frustrating with the O2 sensor. Getting a Vibe serviced at a GM dealer is only going to get more dicey. I wonder if Toyota dealers would service a Vibe?
subVibe

Post by subVibe »

Nobody else? No more 2nd Gen Vibe owners with steering columns that haven't crapped the bed?

Yet another disturbing report:
2009 pontiac vibe, which is mechanically identical to toyota matrix, which in turn is based on toyota corolla. all three vehicles have really light steering (too much boost from electric power steering) that it becomes very unstable and dangerous when the speed is over 50mph.
Yet another:
My 2009 1.8L base automatic (which I have only made 2 payments on) drives like a schizophrenic hovercraft. There is play in the steering column that "confuses" the computer and causes it to veer into the next lane if you hit a bump going at a certain speed. This is completely unpredictable. And, it happens fast. In just 2 months I have almost crashed 3 times on the highway because in the time it takes you to look over your shoulder, by the time you look forward again you have magically "hopped" into the adjacent lane. There is also no tactile feedback to alert you to this veering as it happens independently of the steering wheel.

These "auto steer" events (as they call them) cannot be duplicated at will. It's a tricky combination of speed, degree of curve and whether or not there are bumps.

I cannot take this car on the highway and won't until the problem is fixed. This car feels like it is actively trying to kill me. It's not just a rattle. That rattle is the symptom of a much larger problem - my steering wheel's brains are scrambled.
Looks like buying a used 2nd Gen Vibe might be a form of Russian Roulette. So sad that Pontiac didn't issue a steering column recall before they went tits up.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I have a 2gen vibe with very few miles, but have no steering issues or clunking - yet.

Get a base 2gen with the 1.8L engine, that has no notorious oil burning issues. But eventually every engine will burn oil as the rings wear out.
2009 Vibe Base
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

MacGyver wrote:I have a 2gen vibe with very few miles, but have no steering issues or clunking - yet.

Get a base 2gen with the 1.8L engine, that has no notorious oil burning issues. But eventually every engine will burn oil as the rings wear out.
Getting a 1.8 is not a bad idea , it is a great motor with a proven lineage. As far as eventually burning oil, that may be but there are numerous examples of them having 300K plus and no issues yet. At that point, I'd not be too whiney about oil use, It owes you nothing.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

subVibe; there also is a Facebook group: GenVibe - Pontiac Vibe Owners & Enthusiasts. It is more active than this forum. However there is a lot of banter going on.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yes, let's keep the substantive stuff here on this board.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote:yes, let's keep the substantive stuff here on this board.
x2 ... ;) Exactly why I'm NOT on Facebook !
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

subVibe wrote:Nobody else? No more 2nd Gen Vibe owners with steering columns that haven't crapped the bed?
To stay on topic. Out of the TWO 2009 Vibe Gt's that we own, one of them has the rattle & burns oil (85K miles, auto, and an April 2008 build date), and the other does not (25k miles, manual, and January 2009 build date)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
subVibe

Post by subVibe »

Thanks, that suggests that if a steering column is good at 60K-100K miles then it may not need repeated replacement. Or it may have been fixed to sell the car, though that's an unlikely measure to sell an 8 year old car.

Has anyone ever tried to have their Vibe serviced at a Toyota dealer?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes: I got my first transmission flush done at a Toyota dealer at 59,000 miles. I negotiated a price for the World Standard fluid. Unfortunately to shut us out, all Toyota dealer coupons have a statement in the fine print that says "Toyota vehicles only." The Service Writers will likely use that against you if you try to use a Toyota coupon. Also, when I pick up my parts at the Toyota parts department, I always have them look up the part for a 2009 Matrix. Telling a high school educated parts guy that you have a Vibe is a very bad idea. It sets their hair on fire.
As for the steering noises, the intermediate steering shaft is the culprit. It is not a hazard and will not cause a failure. It simply is a noise we have to live with. NHTSA is not going to do anything about it and I can guarantee GM won't as well. I don't believe there is a redesigned part, so if you ever decide to have the intermediate steering shaft replaced, you are likely just wasting your money. The noise will return.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! FWIW, we have 2 09 GTs and neither burn oil and neither have any steering column-related issues. Build dates of 10.29.08 and 11.17.08. Both are just over 73,000 miles (both bought new). We're coming up on the 8th anniversaries of buying them and they still look and feel like new. We absolutely adore them!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

2009 vibe GT owner here also. Ours just turned 107,000 miles. We bought it with 90,000 miles. If I remember correctly, ours has a build date of Aug. 2008. Ours does burn some oil - about 1 qt. every 3,000 miles. While not ideal, that amount does not bother me. I don't mind putting a $4.00 quart of oil in the engine every couple months. I was used to driving a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis that was starting to burn 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. :o
The only steering rattle we have is when driving over very uneven/bumpy city streets - and then it's very intermittent and very mild.
The only other problem we have is rust around the sunroof edges (under the rubber trim) - will need to repair at some point, not a big deal.
Oh, I just noticed yesterday that one of the radio knobs is starting to spin freely, so another fix coming soon, but again, not a huge deal.
The car is great overall, and I would buy another one right now. Very quick engine, sharp steering, great handling, very reliable. 8-)
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Re.: intermediate steering shaft rattle tnpartsguy wrote:
There is not a redesigned shaft. Pack the shaft with marine grade grease (waterproof).
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
CrispyChrisB

Post by CrispyChrisB »

2009 1.8L original owner. No rattle and car has about 113K miles. Transmission fluid was changed at about 100K miles. Only issue was a water pump failure at 89k miles which may have been caused by a belt breaking. Was able to get major service items completed at a Toyota dealer. Can be a headache, depending on the person. Had to tell someone point blank to use Toyota parts, and he was surprised when I picked it up and he told me they fit!
2009 Vibe ('Lil Red)
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

2010 base 1.8L 5 speed owner here. I've had the rattle for several years. It has not gotten worse at all. It is worse in the winter than the summer. Mechanic says it needs to be repacked with grease but it will more than likely come back again. Not dangerous.

I have no oil consumption issues, exactly 94,000km (58,500miles)

I have the intermittent starter grind on some very cold mornings and not others, the release gear a little slow to disconnect and get a slight grind.

There is zero rust on the car after 6 winters. I can tell you QC winters are harsh and vicious and the roads are salted and brined to oblivion. Cars go through a salt bath almost daily from January-mid March

I have not done the pedal recall. (I don't want anyone chopping off the floor and pedal). Never had an issue with 'sudden acceleration'.I have not done the airbag clockspring recall.

Zero clutch issues, ZERO gearbox issues except the recommended 75w-85 fluid in the GM owners manual is too thick and will cause nothchy shifting. Had to redo the job with the straight 75W Toyota viscosity.

Several local dealers here have no issues servicing a Vibe and are very reasonably priced. There is an abundance of reasonably priced OEM parts all over the net if you DIY or have a shop that will supply the labour. Other than that this thing is a tank. I would NOT hesitate to get one but IMO a 1.8L is a better bet, probably 10-15% better gas mileage too.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA